Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Compact 9mm

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
A thought about carry guns. What makes one easier to carry to most is not its length. Grip length and gun width matter much more to most.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
I carry a Glock 26 (9mm) and love it. Tough to beat 11 rounds in a carry gun this size. I shoot it well too so that's a big plus.

In winter I have no problem carrying it with my 15 round mags as well with a coat over top. Very versatile. Might not be the best looking gun out there but durable.

View attachment 11973

That's what I have for CCW, when/if I get it. I good shooter!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I carry a Glock 26 (9mm) and love it. Tough to beat 11 rounds in a carry gun this size. I shoot it well too so that's a big plus.

In winter I have no problem carrying it with my 15 round mags as well with a coat over top. Very versatile. Might not be the best looking gun out there but durable.

View attachment 11973

this one is off the list for sure

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have always liked the Glocks. I owned a Smith and Wesson Sigma series 9 at one time and it was a POS. Tremendous amount of slop in the barrel/slide and I would have been better off throwing it at someone than trying to shoot them!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Guns to look at in 9mm all depends on what sort of trigger action you want.
Striker fire - Glock, SA XD series, S&W MP series, Ruger SR9 and SR9c, Kahr, etc
DA/SA - Sig p239, P226, p229, etc 3rd gen S&W such as the 908, Ruger P85, etc
SAO - Sig P938, and 9mm 1911 style firearms (SA EMP and others)
DAO - LC9, Sig P250, P240, etc

Things to look at for concealment for IWB. Slide length doesn't matter much b/c that is the part in your pants. Grip length and width can matter as its what you are able to grab and hold onto and what will "print" when you bend, turn, twist, etc.

Find something you can shoot and feels comfortable to you and go from there.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Jesse, I think you have mentioned on here a few times that you have fairly large hands. That will probably be one of the biggest factors in your decision making process, just because a lot of the smaller guns are probably not going to feel good in your hand.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I finally had my hands on a SA XDS tonight. Man... what a sweet little carry piece it would be! :) $589.00

What about under the clip ban? Just a 10 round clip?

Depends how far they want to go with this. The Brady Campaign have talked about banning specific models with the ATF. Not just the "scary ones" they put lever actions and pump actions on the list too. specifically the Marlin 336, Winchester 94, Remington 870...the list goes on and is as long as your arm. These people want to ban everything, dont kid yourselves that they just want this or that firearm. Plus would you rather have a AR with a six position stock, flash hider, ect; or one that doesnt. Its like buying a ipad that you cant put games on. That said this is the first round of the attempted bans. If this passes they'll come for handguns, then "sniper rifles" (your deer rifle) and finally magazine fed shotguns.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I love my Taurus Millennium Pro. They are available in 9mm but mine is in .45. It's compact, lightweight, thin and can fit 10+1 of .45