Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cooper vs Tressel

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Everyone always dogged Cooper for recruiting " thugs".....and couldn't beat Michigan. Tressel was getting " good" players and beat michigan but couldn't win on the big stage. I have never been a tressel fan partly because his play calling was terribly predictable and wayyyyyy to conservative. I was able to call a play out with 75% success, now if a dumb high school asst. coach is able to do that what are collegiate coaches capable of? Also what bothered me was the super clean image he put off....that is a myth in today's college sports. You almost have this feeling when the curtains close the circus begins. I have no problem with the behind the scenes tactics, if you want to be a competitor for a national championship do what ya gotta do. If you think this won'rtcontinue at OSU your f&*$ing high!!! Its the nature of the beast and tressel couldn't control it.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Oh and the whole ethics thing bothered me before this crap storm.......when you have an affair (married his mistress)don't claim to be pure and loyal. Plus once a cheater always a cheater (YSU)......I never bought his product it was all too good to be true.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
One of the happiest days of my life was the day John Cooper left OSU. Can you imagine is Tressel could have coached the '96 team?!? That is the single most talented team OSU has and may ever have in Columbus. Sure Cooper could recruit, but I live on the "Beat Michigan or get the fuck out town" side of the fence. I'd rather go 10-0 versus Michigan in a decade, than go 5-5 and win 2 National Titles.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Im not too worried.....his gig was about up any way....ten years is about the max for coaches

I wouldn't be surprise if pryor rolls over on tressel if tgr pressure gets too tough and revealed what he got to come to osu......

My sister works in a hospital with pryor's mom....that could be trouble!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
If you cant beat Michigan as an Ohio State Coach...you better pack your bags cause your going to get ran out of town....

Tressel is an awesome coach, what he does in his personal life is no business of mine. What concerns me is what happens on the field.

I am dissapointed with all of the crap with the players, but it came out the way it did because of tressels clean cut image. Them edia was just looking for areason to burn this guy....and they got it.

I absolutely will not hang up my Ohio State Jersey through all this. They will be crap for a couple of years and I hope those kids involved get benched for the whole season. Where is their pride?

Good thing I still have Oregon to watch....

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Tressel isn't clean cut as he led others to believe........you can't be if you want to coach at the elite level...you gotta be a cut throat SOB....otherwise you don't move up the ranks.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I agree that Tressel was conservative in his play calling, but beating Michigan means almost as much to me as the national title, so I will go with Tressel over Cooper all day long.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Gecko you say the media wanted to burn tressel.......this has been going on since 2002, the media had plenty of chances....everyone turned a blind eye, even all media sources. What did tressel in was the monster he groomed in pryor......it is stated by cirre.t players he treated pryor different then others ....one of the biggest mistakes a coach can make. Pryor had big balls to show up in a brand new car for a team meeting after tressel resigned....the car loaning might be a whole other Shit storm.

Last edited: