Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Corey Rex

mrex

*Supporting member*
Nice buck and congrats to your son. Any story with it?

I'll brag a little on my boys.lol Both of my sons play high school football, basketball and run track. Ryan was an all conference / all district QB selection this past fall. He was selected all conference as a forward on the basketball team last winter and barring an injury, will graduate this spring with 12 varsity letters. Both are honor roll students and neither son has a schedule that's real conducive to consistently killing mature bucks.

When my boys were little, I did everything in my power to foster an interest in hunting, fishing and the outdoors. I invited them to tag along every time it was possible to take them but never forced them to go. This was Ryan's first buck at age 6.

The challenge early on was keeping it fun but not make it so easy that they'd become bored. When they reached their early teens, I started including them in the decision making process...Why here? Why now? Why is this the right tree? etc... I knew my sons were hooked on hunting when they started asking to do it all own their own.

Ryan found this buck in September on a property owned by a friend of the family. (you are correct Chad...18.5" inside, 24" beams and very symetrical...will gross in the mid 140's and net around 142")

The farm receives a fair amount hunting pressure, (gun and bow), from the land owner and his relatives and the adjoining properties are hunted as hard as any in Athens County. I personally have never deer hunted the area where Ryan killed this buck. There was / is a bigger buck on a property that I was hunting earlier this season but Ryan chose to pass on him and pursue the buck that "he found."

His set up was text book. He had multiple stands placed for almost any wind direction in a 100 yard wide by 400 yard long strip of mature oaks, bordered below by a 15 acre clearcut / thicket and above by a hay field. The deer would stage in the hardwoods so he tried to have someone pick him up after every hunt whenever possible so they never saw him climb out of a tree. Wednesday was his 3rd encounter with the buck in 3 months of hunting him.

Last edited:

rrr

Hey Rex,

What's with two arrows in the quiver being bloody?

Jus wonderin and noticed...