Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Corn or Beans ?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I know people put out corn either tossed out or from feeders but has anybody ever tried soybeans ?

I was talking to Jack about this yesterday and neither of us had heard of anybody actually doing it. I have heard more then a couple times that soybeans are 20 -30% more protein and in the later season is better for deer then corn. What I have also heard is it gives them more expendable energy to move around and keep the fat layer built up as well.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Would you be able to find them in abundance like you can corn, and how much more moey would say 50lbs of beans cost? Im just asking cause I have no clue..

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Would you be able to find them in abundance like you can corn, and how much more moey would say 50lbs of beans cost? Im just asking cause I have no clue..

I would think you could buy them from the farm co -op

I will call around and see if I could find out and see what the price is on it.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Never heard of anyone doing it. Most of the beans picked around here are shipped out, whereas lots of the corn stays local for feed and such. I'm not sure you can even get bulk beans around here unless you get them straight off the combine. I know where they just picked about 70 acres of waist high beans!!!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
beans are generally better when the bitter cold hits. they provide better nutrients to the deer when they are really starvin. we leave our bean up all year and they get NAILED late..

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I would think you could buy them from the farm co -op

I will call around and see if I could find out and see what the price is on it.

They're going for 10 something a bushel wear as corn I'm not sure just talked about beans to a farmer yesterday they were getting around 60 bushels an acre

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
They're going for 10 something a bushel wear as corn I'm not sure just talked about beans to a farmer yesterday they were getting around 60 bushels an acre

Thanks for the info "J" might be something to look into for later in the season. I might have to buy them now and store them for a little while. If I remember right the corn was going for about the same per bushel.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
nnnoooooo 10 bucks for corn is way to much. I just got a pretty good hook up. Dale and I got the bed of his truck filled up to the top (6ft bed) for 120 bucks. ill have to try and get the picture up.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
nnnoooooo 10 bucks for corn is way to much. I just got a pretty good hook up. Dale and I got the bed of his truck filled up to the top (6ft bed) for 120 bucks. ill have to try and get the picture up.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am literally laughing out loud after scrolling down to this picture! That is a classic picture! Little man with his ornery smile tops it off! Should be posting it on one of the QDMA forums instead of here.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Usually beans cost about 2-2.5 times what corn costs.

I have some goats, they eat corn like is was candy but pretty much ignore beans. Same with sheep, cattle and poultry. Beans seem to need processing then blended into feed for animals to eat them. In my field deer prefer beans over corn until they start to turn color then I hardly ever see them eating them.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
How about beef feed / pellets?

I would have to look and see what is in it exactly. Sometimes foods for livestock contains ingrediants that are actually harmfull to deer.

I know they make deer food pellets. They sell it at our local mill here anyway and also TSC if I remember right. Could do that as well. Not sure what the cost is of the deer pellets right off hand but probably about the same as corn as it has skyrocketed this year.