Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Could You Imagine.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If ohio legalised a deer gun with dogs season like they have here. I thought this guys back glass sticker was hilarious. "Run Your Dogs, Not Your Mouth." He's got a CB so everyone can coordinate to get around the deer to cut them off to get a shot, which is usually buckshot as they go running by at mach jesus . My God, people would absolutly lose their flipping minds. 😅

20220104_123427.jpg

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I lived it in NC. Its great until they're parked outside YOUR property letting them loose and lined up on the opposite side of YOUR property on the right of way blasting anything that comes out onto the road. And then they trespass to get the dogs that didn't come out right away. Because "dogs can't read posted signs or recognize purple paint". And "My daddy and his daddy ran dogs on this property so I am too and there aint nothing you can do about it."

That leads to the dogs sometimes not making it off the property at all. It leads to burlap strips soaked in bacon grease and embedded with treble hooks hung from cedar trees. It leads to hunting cabins burned to the ground and stand straps cut.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I lived it in NC. Its great until they're parked outside YOUR property letting them loose and lined up on the opposite side of YOUR property on the right of way blasting anything that comes out onto the road. And then they trespass to get the dogs that didn't come out right away. Because "dogs can't read posted signs or recognize purple paint". And "My daddy and his daddy ran dogs on this property so I am too and there aint nothing you can do about it."

That leads to the dogs sometimes not making it off the property at all. It leads to burlap strips soaked in bacon grease and embedded with treble hooks hung from cedar trees. It leads to hunting cabins burned to the ground and stand straps cut.

That happens for sure but every facet of hunters has a group of shitheads. I've read the same over the years about gun hunters, crossbow hunters, people who do deer drives, and big buck "my" deer Waddel wannabes, I prefer to categorize hunters less by the method of take and more by the quality of their character. Dogs are not much different than using people to push deer on drives, it just takes less people as the dogs are more efficient pushers.

Reactions: Tipmoose

Bigcountry40

I miss hunting with dogs, my handle was bigcountry, I used a 30-30 open sight and a 270 when watching over clear cuts. The clear cuts were full of branches and new growth, deer typically couldn’t run that fast, we would set up in the back of the truck and you use the truck top as a rest. Some good times, club rules could only shoot bucks when running with dogs

Bowkills

Nw oh
Ive guided a few coyote hunts with dogs in nw ohio. Basically the only legal moment was letting the dogs out of the boxes at the drop spot from there on it was laws broke in the odnr book or odot. An absolute riot! but takes some serious balls or a lack of caring for laws with todays consequences. It would make for more exciting shotgun seasons hunting with dogs as the deer safe havens being affected and deer running around like gun seasons of the past. Id be for it. Instead of pickups circling the block for 45mins itd be done in 5mins. Id see more deer and have dogs chasing deer vs trucks only fine by me. deer start to run into no permisson at sunrise monday am anyways, dogs would keep going pinnballing deer until a injured deer or another species would be bayed up. Bring on the dogs 2022 haha! I stopped fighting or getting mad with firearm seasons a few years back. You cant have control of anything about deer where i live unless u own the whole mile square. Might as well throw another thing in to break up the lackluster ohio gun season....

Reactions: triple_duece

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ive guided a few coyote hunts with dogs in nw ohio. Basically the only legal moment was letting the dogs out of the boxes at the drop spot from there on it was laws broke in the odnr book or odot. An absolute riot! but takes some serious balls or a lack of caring for laws with todays consequences. It would make for more exciting shotgun seasons hunting with dogs as the deer safe havens being affected and deer running around like gun seasons of the past. Id be for it. Instead of pickups circling the block for 45mins itd be done in 5mins. Id see more deer and have dogs chasing deer vs trucks only fine by me. deer start to run into no permisson at sunrise monday am anyways, dogs would keep going pinnballing deer until a injured deer or another species would be bayed up. Bring on the dogs 2022 haha! I stopped fighting or getting mad with firearm seasons a few years back. You cant have control of anything about deer where i live unless u own the whole mile square. Might as well throw another thing in to break up the lackluster ohio gun season....

Boy you'd love being a coon hunter. Basically the same as your coyote hunt except at night. 😅

Bowkills

Nw oh
Boy you'd love being a coon hunter. Basically the same as your coyote hunt except at night. 😅
Coon hunting is a blast. Its a shame its dying off so bad. Nearly everytime ive been on large coyote day hunt dogs or not, a sheriff shows up on complaint calls. I used to coon hunt for years with friends and its far more low key just because of night just sketchy retrieve dogs from yards or no hunting properties but u at least have the option of leaving the light off.

Reactions: tracker 6

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
My cousin just went on one of these hunts in Virginia I think he said. He got to do it with his military buddies. Said It was like 1500 acres and it was the craziest shit he's ever done, said the guy had GPS on and when the dogs would take off they would drive like 70 mph through the property to get in front of them he said they would jump out shoot and jump back In to get back infront of them.