Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Could you survive?

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
on the Ohio river right where Ohio, PN, and WV come together there is a creek called Little Blue Run. If you follow that back you will come to a dam. On the rocks to that dam on a warm spring day you will see hundreds..

Matt

Norton, OH
Barring the uncontrollable snake encounter, I know for a fact that I could survive. Not necessarily because I know what I am doing (which I feel like I have a pretty good survivalist skill set), but because I know I will never give up. Aside from the swamp, what is keeping you from leaving that little island? I would probably try to fashion some type of snake guards for my shins out of bark or some other substance. I know you can't defend against the one sitting in the tree or climbing into your bed, but it's a start, and it's not defeatist. Like what JJ said, you all are killing yourself before you even get there. Gotta have your mind set that you CAN and you WILL survive.

rrr

Just found this thread.

I know that I could do it. And be happy. I'm Steve Irwin- snakes don't bother me!

[In all reality I hate snakes and would probably die real quick]

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Just found this thread.

I know that I could do it. And be happy. I'm Steve Irwin- snakes don't bother me!

[In all reality I hate snakes and would probably die real quick]

As long as you could stay away from the sting rays you might have a chance.

badger

*Supporting Member*
I've spent my whole life tramping around in swamps trapping and hunting shit. The scenario you presented looks pretty bleak to me. I'm sure I could manage awhile as I'm very creative, especially when it comes to crunch time. I don't think it's possible to explain a game plan without actually being there. I see myself making it for a short time but without rescue in your scenario, I die.

Geezer

*Hims a Super Moderator*
Clean water would be the toughest. With now way to purify water you would be dead within days. Even with a container to boil water in 12 trees would not provide enough fuel to boil much water..

cut sum grass and dry it fo fire or chew da green grass fo moisture - cow pie:smiley_crazy:

Geezer

*Hims a Super Moderator*
I wood cut muh t-shirt ta look like a bra and climb up in a palm tree and tie it so it stood out real good - then i would wait for the swamp people ta come tear'n over there when they gator hunt'n and rescue muh - that a old cajun trick tuffel tole muh bout - dang rookies :smiley_cigar:

tuffshot

The Crew
I would use the knife, flint and coconut fibers to build a fire. I would then get a charded piece of wood from the fire and then get the piece of paper out and write.

Here lies................ My last will and testement..................you can fill out the rest.:smile:

If'n I make it OK, if not the note will already be there.

Yes, I'd survive. First, I'm assuming nothing else exists on the island except for what is described in the scenario (no snakes, no bugs). I'd use the flint, oak tree limbs, and a small piece of paper to start a fires. I'd boil water in coconut shells and use coconut shell charcoal (filtered with clothing) to purify the water. I'd eat raw and cooked grass, coconut, and aloe. I'd use the string and palm leaves to create shelter.

Diablo54

Outside
Yes, I'd survive. First, I'm assuming nothing else exists on the island except for what is described in the scenario (no snakes, no bugs). I'd use the flint, oak tree limbs, and a small piece of paper to start a fires. I'd boil water in coconut shells and use coconut shell charcoal (filtered with clothing) to purify the water. I'd eat raw and cooked grass, coconut, and aloe. I'd use the string and palm leaves to create shelter.

what ab the snakes?

saddlepants

central Ohio
I would do whatever it takes to survive. In the process creating a boiler to purify the brackish water of the everglades is a big one. Finding trash would help but the condensation formed on a surface above the boiling salty water is pure and clean to drink. You just have to figure out a way to contain, boil and capture the condensation. Snakes are good food. Aloe is nasty but you can eat it and the juice is good for you. Palm spears made to fish.

brianridesbikes

sounds to me like everything you could potentially need is around you... aloe would help not only with keeping the bugs off but also soothe bites, and to help with sun exposure ie the wicked sunburn you will likely get. Aloe can also be edible to a degree, works as a mild laxative. Aloe also naturally holds water.
Palms come in many forms, coconut and cabbage are the most obvious for finding free snacks. if you are on dry land near a pond there will be a ton of cat tails, pickerel weed, green vine, and likely other edible plants, some of which also naturally hold water.
oaks generally will have acorns in these parts which are edible, and where there are acorns there are also generally birds and squirrels if you have the available calories to go chasing down animals, or you can simply rob nests as there will likely be a few, for both the birds and the squirrels.
If you are suurounded by 8 foot tall grass it could potentially be sugar cane...
snakes can be a problem, but they can also be edible...
I think most people who have a decent amount of experience in the woods could potentially survive under such rich conditions.