Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Country Fried Deer Steak

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I have a bunch of cubed deer meat to eat up in the next month or so and I wanted to try some country fried steak. I have an idea of how I want to proceed, but wanted to check with y'all and see what pointers, suggestions, etc. you may have...

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Flour in season flour, (season however you wish) or for a crispier texture flour the meat, dip in egg wash, and then dip in cornstarch - flour, egg wash, and cornstarch should all be seasoned. Brown and finish in pan. Add milk to make gravy - thicken further if needed - salt and pepper.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Hey Jesse, try this out. I've been meaning to add it to the site i just keep forgetting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cut up a section of hind quarter into 1"cubes.

Next put the meat on skewers, and bread with your favorite breading, and then brown them in bacon grease.

Drain a bit of the grease on paper towels then put them in your slow cooker. I like to add a can of beef broth. I also like to cut up some thick onion slices to use as a rack to keep the meat from laying in the broth. I cooked these 4hrs on a medium heat setting.
Don't forget to make gravy out of the broth. Enjoy!

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
What do you use as your fat in the pan to cook the deer?

Olive oil or 50/50 Olive Oil and Butter. The olive oil has a higher smoke point, but the butter will aide in browning. I will typically only use olive oil for the most part, but if I am trying to get a nice golden brown then I add the butter. Since it is a roast I would just stick to the olive oil.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Olive oil or 50/50 Olive Oil and Butter. The olive oil has a higher smoke point, but the butter will aide in browning. I will typically only use olive oil for the most part, but if I am trying to get a nice golden brown then I add the butter. Since it is a roast I would just stick to the olive oil.

Not the roast brother, the country fried version. Do you just use butter? That was my inital thought...

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Not the roast brother, the country fried version. Do you just use butter? That was my inital thought...

Oh sorry, I was confused where I was. Ha! Uses 50/50 for the CFS as all butter will burn before the meat is cooked through.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Badger... that recipe looks phenomenal! Is that meat thawed out from the freezer or is it fresh off the deer? It looks really fresh to me. What do you find is the best way to wrap/package venison for the freezer?

Sorry to hijack, Jesse.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Badger... that recipe looks phenomenal! Is that meat thawed out from the freezer or is it fresh off the deer? It looks really fresh to me. What do you find is the best way to wrap/package venison for the freezer?

Sorry to hijack, Jesse.

That was previously frozen. I have been using one of those vacum sealers for quite awhile now, things are amazing.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Somethin we have been doin is rolling slices of backstrap in Cajun fish breading and frying it in the deepfryer...Turns out awesome with some spicyness if you like that...I know I do.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I had a feeling you'd say that. A FoodSaver is definitely on my wish list now. Thanks.
honestly, skip the food saver and go directly for the big dog. a GOOD vacuum sealer will be one of the best tools you can have in yoru arsenal for deer meat. the food saver lacks a quality seal. the cabelas brand is the correct type but it is really just a WESSON brand sealer with the cabelas name and mark up. i believe they are sold out of cleveland

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
we can a lot of deer . about one inch cubes and pressure can it . just fry it up in a pan of butter . the only steaks i keep are the back strap. the rest is canned or ground .
Same here...I save a few roasts also for the slow cooker. I cn't believe mor epeople don't can deer it tastes so dang good. We make vegetable soup or stroganoff alot with it...Or just heat it up in a pan with some muchrooms and onions and put it over noodles...