Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Covid-19 future outcomes

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Expect the markets to be very volatile until traders can see a light at the end of the tunnel. In Asia it seems like the numbers of infected people and more so deaths are declining. When we get to that point here and in Europe then I think money will flow back to equities.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
On some really good but kind of bad news, the dollar is soaring and has seen the largest 7-day valuation climb since George Soros broke the bank of England back in 92. As the world's reserve currency, the demand for the dollar has skyrocketed this past week as countries look to shore up their cross border trading currency. The feds will be spinning up the printing presses shortly. What does this mean for you.. Well for starters.. It's going to be a good time to buy Gold and Silver to stock up on your reserve currency.

Anyone take advantage when the getting was good around the $11.94 low. Silver closed at $14.83 today just a week later. A nice 20% valuation gain in 6 days. 😉

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Anyone take advantage when the getting was good around the $11.94 low. Silver closed at $14.83 today just a week later. A nice 20% valuation gain in 6 days. 😉

Nope. But I saved a lot of money on car insurance when I said eff that bill! Lol

That was a nice pop. And to be real, $14.83 is still plenty cheap. Look at historical lows. We are still looking good to buy.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nope. But I saved a lot of money on car insurance when I said eff that bill! Lol

That was a nice pop. And to be real, $14.83 is still plenty cheap. Look at historical lows. We are still looking good to buy.
Heck yeah it is.
Help me out here, boys. Aside from a "backup currency" standpoint, what's the big upside of buying silver? 10-year trend is all downhill. Sure, it made 20% in the past week, but it's still it's still far away from where it was in 2010-2011.

Capture.JPG

Reactions: aholdren

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Because it looks prettier and takes up less room than my aluminum can collection?

It's a hedge. In a pinch, it's a barter. For some it's an investment short term and for others it is long term. It's diversification. Not everyone can afford an ounce of gold. Probably a few more reasons.

Reactions: Tipmoose

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Because it looks prettier and takes up less room than my aluminum can collection?

It's a hedge. In a pinch, it's a barter. For some it's an investment short term and for others it is long term. It's diversification. Not everyone can afford an ounce of gold. Probably a few more reasons.
I see the bartering part, I guess. But as an investment? That's where I'm struggling to see the upside.

In total contrast, the S&P 500 index...

Capture.JPG

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@jagermeister if "I" were to buy, it would be for a hedge. When all else is crashing, gold/silver hold a constant value. (This is a theory or view of some.) Their value doesn't change. Gold and silver stay constant. What changes is the currency value. If dollar is weak. . .it takes more dollars to buy silver and gold. If dollar is strong, it takes less to buy. So if you look at precious metals values you might look at the buying power of various currencies compared to silver or gold.

Think of silver/gold as a scale used to measure the strengths of all currencies. When you think outside the dollar, it makes a little more sense.

Also consider what is bound to happen. . . .printing presses are going to get fired up soon. Won't this devalue our dollar? Interest rates? Inflation? All these things contribute to the big picture. Personally, I think a struggling economy is a good time to hold a tangible asset with a constant value. Might not gain value, but won't lose value. I'd suggest renting a safety deposit box if you buy physical silver. No reason to keep it in your house. They don't cost much to rent and are a good place for other legal documents as well. Birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.

Reactions: Mike

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I saw a silver price chart one time that showed that before Columbus discovered America that silver was worth about $600 oz(today’s dollar value) Since then huge amounts of silver have been discovered and the price has been in steady decline. Back then silver’s main value was as currency or decorative (ie jewelry). Today the main driver of silver price is it’s industrial value With occasional spikes in time of economic uncertaint.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
$2 trillion......TRILLION!!!!

I cringed in '08, the breath just got knocked out of me this morning. I get it, folks are starting to need help, more will need help. But man....TRILLIONS!! Let's just wave a magic wand......tah dah!😡

Reactions: hickslawns

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Way back when an ounce of gold was worth a dollar and you could buy a high end suit with it. Same today. An ounce of gold can buy you a high end suit. That's how fucked our money is.

Reactions: 5Cent and giles

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
$2 trillion......TRILLION!!!!

I cringed in '08, the breath just got knocked out of me this morning. I get it, folks are starting to need help, more will need help. But man....TRILLIONS!! Let's just wave a magic wand......tah dah!😡
Look up so e of the actual places this money is going. It’ll raise you blood pressure quite a few points...... SMDH

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@jagermeister if "I" were to buy, it would be for a hedge. When all else is crashing, gold/silver hold a constant value. (This is a theory or view of some.) Their value doesn't change. Gold and silver stay constant. What changes is the currency value. If dollar is weak. . .it takes more dollars to buy silver and gold. If dollar is strong, it takes less to buy. So if you look at precious metals values you might look at the buying power of various currencies compared to silver or gold.

Think of silver/gold as a scale used to measure the strengths of all currencies. When you think outside the dollar, it makes a little more sense.

Also consider what is bound to happen. . . .printing presses are going to get fired up soon. Won't this devalue our dollar? Interest rates? Inflation? All these things contribute to the big picture. Personally, I think a struggling economy is a good time to hold a tangible asset with a constant value. Might not gain value, but won't lose value. I'd suggest renting a safety deposit box if you buy physical silver. No reason to keep it in your house. They don't cost much to rent and are a good place for other legal documents as well. Birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.
I’m following you now. Thanks!

Reactions: hickslawns

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio

After the crash during the first 10 months of 1930, 744 banks failed – 10 times as many. In all, 9,000 banks failed during the decade of the 30s. It's estimated that 4,000 banks failed during the one year of 1933 alone. By 1933, depositors saw $140 billion disappear through bank failures.

Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself with regards to the economy. Who knows what this current event will really do.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I’m following you now. Thanks!

Hicks is spot on. It's an inflation hedge with modest gains. If we look back 30 years to 1990 an ounce of silver was worth $4.83. Since then we have had 98% inflation. To hedge the inflation that same ounce of silver would need to be worth $9.56 today. However it's worth 14.86 at a recent low. Inflation hedged with roughly 40% gains. It's also a physical security unlike money in our retirement accounts tied to the market and locked up by financial institutions. We could be barred from access to those funds with the stroke of a pen. We saw things like that across Europe in 2010 where people were barred from retirement accounts and some were outright taken by the government to shore up social service programs and prevent collapse of the country. It's also not strictly tied to dollars, if there was ever a collapse of the dollar like what happened to the sterling there's cross-currencyency value. In Canada a first full of silver would get you more than a wheelbarrow full of dollars. Then there's the doomsday barter aspect. In the end it's like having inflation proof cash available that is not back by "the full faith and trust of the US Government".

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I saw a silver price chart one time that showed that before Columbus discovered America that silver was worth about $600 oz(today’s dollar value) Since then huge amounts of silver have been discovered and the price has been in steady decline. Back then silver’s main value was as currency or decorative (ie jewelry). Today the main driver of silver price is it’s industrial value With occasional spikes in time of economic uncertaint.

And for killing Werewolf's.