Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote converstaion at the bus stop.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I walked my son to the bus stop yesterday morning before kindergarten, and was standing out on the corner while all of the other neighborhood Mom's sat with their kids in their minivans. (I think it's ridiculous that they all do this when temps fall below 40, but that's another rant.)

Anyway, the lady in the first van steps out, comes up to us, and starts asking if we've seen a gray & white cat recently. Apparently they have an indoor / outdoor cat that hasn't showed up for a few days and they're starting to get concerned. I said, nope, I haven't seen one. But then I went ahead an mentioned that she might want to be careful with an outdoor pet because of all the coyotes in the area.

Her eyes got as big as saucers. "You mean to tell me there are coyotes around here?! That's dangerous especially with all the kids in this neighborhood. They don't eat cats do they?"

Me: "Oh yea, they'll take what ever they can get. An when the weather turns cold, and the snow starts to pile up, they'll come even closer than normal to neighborhoods like this looking for food. Small dogs, cats, rabbits, pretty much whatever they need to do to survive."

My son interjects: "Yea, we even found some coyote poop in our backyard one time!"

She didn't have much more to say, and got back into the minivan.

I hope the lady's cat didn't get eaten, just for her kids sake. That is unless it was her cat that took a dump in my kid's sandbox when I left the lid off. In that case I hope it's coyote poop by now. Just thought I would share this because living in suburbia, I get a kick out of just how out of touch most people are with the natural world. Probably because we're all so much more in tune with these sorts of things and know what the hell is going on out there.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lions and tigers and bears! Oh my!

Here kitty, kitty,kitty!

She can be out of the loop on coyotes. I could care less about her country club adventures, and dressing their kids up like little "Princesses". My daughter had her princess outfits when she was younger. Don't get me wrong. I won't let my wife push these sorts of things on the kids just to make up for whatever she might have missed out in her childhood though. People are truly out of touch with reality. I am with you Curran. Maybe I am just narrow minded in assuming all suburbian moms in their minivans are this way? Maybe they aren't all fat, lazy, and trying to push stupid shit on their kids, yet have no clue what a wood pecker eats. For me, I am taking the kids hunting, camping, hiking, and letting them become as well rounded as possible. If it means dance class and girl scouts too, I am okay with it. Just not going to be so far removed from the real world by electronics/facebook/cable tv/pta meetings/cell phones and such to not be able to enjoy the crisp smell of the autumn air.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Lions and tigers and bears! Oh my!

Here kitty, kitty,kitty!

She can be out of the loop on coyotes. I could care less about her country club adventures, and dressing their kids up like little "Princesses". My daughter had her princess outfits when she was younger. Don't get me wrong. I won't let my wife push these sorts of things on the kids just to make up for whatever she might have missed out in her childhood though. People are truly out of touch with reality. I am with you Curran. Maybe I am just narrow minded in assuming all suburbian moms in their minivans are this way? Maybe they aren't all fat, lazy, and trying to push stupid shit on their kids, yet have no clue what a wood pecker eats. For me, I am taking the kids hunting, camping, hiking, and letting them become as well rounded as possible. If it means dance class and girl scouts too, I am okay with it. Just not going to be so far removed from the real world by electronics/facebook/cable tv/pta meetings/cell phones and such to not be able to enjoy the crisp smell of the autumn air.

I don't even have kids buddy and that was very well said... Maybe i will try to instill that into the little black youngin I'm gonna adopt one day...

rrr

Similar story: my roommate's girlfriend had to get rid of 2 cats and gave them to a friend, who is also a friend of mine and lives on one of the properties I used to hunt. These were two orange cats and apparently the lady who got them just let them run...the girlfriend was pretty upset...and the fact that I said "Oh don't worry there are plenty of coyotes over there, they will be gone in a day or two if they don't learn fast" didn't help things! LOL

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't even have kids buddy and that was very well said... Maybe i will try to instill that into the little black youngin I'm gonna adopt one day...
Why, thank you! Teach him to sing some David Allen Coe while you are at it. We already know he will be a coon dog runnin' machine!

"Oh don't worry there are plenty of coyotes over there, they will be gone in a day or two if they don't learn fast"

Now STeve! That was not nice. . . but funny as heck!

I swear...sometimes I think we live with a bunch of tree huggin' bunny lovers. People get so disconnected from what goes on in the outdoors with wildlife and what it takes to keep them in check. :smiley_arrogant:

I attempted to get permission to hunt a large farm southwest of Cridersville, in Auglaize county. Apparently, the men folk were away with other chores and I spoke with the lady of the house. During our conversation, she let me know that her husband and sons were bowhunting the property for deer. To which I replied that I was interested in hunting coyotes, but didn't want to interfere with their deer hunting and perhaps I'd come back in February.

She said that they didn't allow other hunters on their property, because of them killing their cats. :smiley_chinrub: I asked if they'd witnessed the cats being shot or heard shots fired and found the cats dead and she said no, but they keep coming up missing. I said, "Ma'am, you have a coyote problem!" I proceeded to tell her how coyotes will easily catch, kill and eat cats.

I told the lady that I was sorry for the loss of her cats and I'm sure they're needed around the outbuildings to keep the mice in check. I thanked her for her time and suggested that she have her husband and sons take some time to set some snares around the property. She seemed pleased with my take on the situation. A more pleasant response than I had anticipated. :smiley_bril:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57