Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote trapping with little cover.

One of the farms i work at lost 7 lambs yesterday before sunrise to coyote. I have snares left over from when I trapped. However I have gotten rid of all my leg holds over the years. The farmer is nervous about leg holds. The trouble with this farm is there is very little cover to use as squeeze point for a snare. Is there a way I can use snares in a more open area? Or should I try to get leg holds? Also what should I use as an anchor is very soft sandy soil.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't have experience with anchors in those conditions. But look for ruts made by tractors or vehicles. I've seen a lot of coyotes tracks over the years walking right in those ruts.

Reactions: JOHNROHIO

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Describe “open”. Typically they are going to travel close to something, being a strip of weeds preferably on a high spot of the pasture. Even a clean high tensile fence with no weeds or over growth they are gonna run along it. If that’s the case set along it and create a pinch. It doesn’t take much, they are straight like walkers. Just stick a couple subtle sticks vertically next to your set will keep them tight to the line they’re running. As for anchors I’d go with the longest wolf fangs I could get and / or add an extension. If you still feel that is not enough, nothing says you can’t drop two anchors in the ground for one snare and let them work as a picket system.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
And what Jim said. They love ruts, same thing with a few small sticks will keep them in the rut.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Post a pic of what you mean by open. I assume these lambs are in a fence. Locate where they're getting in and snare the holes.

Also don't be afraid to set them up. If there is a brushy spot drag a carcas of some sorts in there, create paths to it, then snare the paths.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Post a pic of what you mean by open. I assume these lambs are in a fence. Locate where they're getting in and snare the holes.

Also don't be afraid to set them up. If there is a brushy spot drag a carcas of some sorts in there, create paths to it, then snare the paths.
Might not be a good idea to set a hole in the fence if there's livestock in there. If that yote rips the shit out of the fence before he hangs himself there's a chance all those sheep could get loose.

I attached a few pictures of what this farm is like. Thanks for the advice i really have never trapped coyotes or used snares often. I mostly trapped furbearers around water. I already placed a snare where they got in. Iacey and i did some tracking and found two more places they have been getting in. Which are now snared. I ran out of store bought snares so I made a few penny snares. I placed one of those along a fence and a pile of junk. I dragged one of the south down lambs and left a few balls of wool around. I have to be careful because we use a number of dogs to handle stock on this farm. Border collies act a lot like coyotes.
20180612_132153.jpg
View attachment 61465
20180612_124626.jpg
20180612_111458.jpg
View attachment 61463

Last edited:

pat8228

Find where they are coming onto the property from and set there. Guide them into the snare. You can stake the snare to the ground to prevent damage to the fence. Hard to tell from photos, but looks like there is a lot of places for snares.