Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyotes Take Down 6-pointer

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Chad has mentioned coming to Fayette Co. to hunt yotes with me. It is something I would certainly entertain. We have more yotes than most would ever imagine. Two years ago on a cool October morning I saw 10! That was more than I had ever seen in a year. I saw coyotes on every sit that season until gun season. I was also running BEC's on a live feed - anyone that cared to watch could see my cams. I believe Joe and Jesse both saw first hand what we are dealing with here. There were three occassions in a two week period where coyotes chased deer off an oak tree they were trying to feed under. The most interesting thing to come from having had such a good surveilance of the farm for several years was the fact that I saw first hand the decimation of fawns....we have very few deer that make it to adulthood now!

I firmly believe they are a factor the DOW has been late in recognizing. We cannot continue liberal bag limits when we are not the only predator making a big dent in the herd. Some areas have yet to see a big decline, but I feel confortable in saying it is evident in Fayette!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Learning to kill them is something I need to do. I dabble it in, but I really need to make a push after seeing how many are showing up on our farm this year...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yes, you do, Jesse. And so does EVERYONE that likes to see deer! We may not be able to wipe them out, but we can do our best to try!

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Horrible. Posted this long ago. This dude was ran down a long while before bleeding out. He reached the end of the line near a buddy that witnessed this deers demise from the stand. He said this buck would square off with all 4 or 5 of them until 2 of them would circle and lock onto the back hams.

As for pushing people to be more entertained to commit on hunting them more, our local tag in station is having its 3rd year contest. I think last year the 1st place winner got a new 22-250, 2nd place wins 125$, 3rd wins 75$. We have a local that dominates every year with 50-60 coyotes. The place that runs it got a article published and the next day farmers were calling to have people come out and hunt them.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/n...offers-rifle-cash-to-hunters-in-coyote/nNqf7/

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Killed one last gun season that was going full bore at a doe, people didnt believe me the yote was chasing the doe.

I put a 12 slug through the yote, and the chase was over. I hate the fuggers!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I am interested in learning more about hunting them that's for sure. I've been lucky and gotten one the last 3 years while deer hunting during either gun or muzzleloading season and have also gotten them while groundhog hunting (.243 groundhog loads don't leave much hide left on the opposite side) and turkey hunting (my day was almost over and one came sneaking in on my decoy, a full choke load from a 20 gauge darn near tore it in half at 10 yards).

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Here's a serious thought - just like we had deer camp at SR....we should have a "yote camp"....get our experienced guys teamed up with those of us who aren't... and preach the gospel of killing yotes to save our beloved deer population....get guys excited about killing yotes....just an idea

Now that's an Idea. Maybe in February after deer season when the hills are covered in snow we can do a trapping camp for yotes. 10 guys setting steel. If we only set 10 each that's 100 traps.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I am interested in learning more about hunting them that's for sure. I've been lucky and gotten one the last 3 years while deer hunting during either gun or muzzleloading season and have also gotten them while groundhog hunting (.243 groundhog loads don't leave much hide left on the opposite side) and turkey hunting (my day was almost over and one came sneaking in on my decoy, a full choke load from a 20 gauge darn near tore it in half at 10 yards).

Actually I will admit shooting at a coyote is about the only time in the last 7 or 8 years I've ever emptied my shotgun while deer hunting. Its pretty fun lighting them up at 150-300 yards.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Now that's an Idea. Maybe in February after deer season when the hills are covered in snow we can do a trapping camp for yotes. 10 guys setting steel. If we only set 10 each that's 100 traps.

I could be convinced for that....also what about a turkey camp?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro

I'd commit to it. I'd need someone to teach me...normally I just read and self-teach alot of stuff, but I think that being coached at yote hunting would be a lot faster and more effective. Any ideas where we could do it?

Hell, we could probably get farmers in each part of the state that would allow access and have multiple yote camps so guys wouldn't have to travel so far

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dan, Dale has put some good yote snaring info on here. I had pretty good success last year snaring them...it seems pretty dang simple to me. Supposedly they are much harder to get with a leghold - never tried that, but snares were easy enough.

Diablo54

Outside
This is a good idea. But it takes more than a week a lot of times to start catching. And You need more than a week to learn.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Dan, Dale has put some good yote snaring info on here. I had pretty good success last year snaring them...it seems pretty dang simple to me. Supposedly they are much harder to get with a leghold - never tried that, but snares were easy enough.

Snaring is definitely easier than catching one in a foothold. Plus a guy can carry a few dozen snares with cable stakes compared to a pack full of footholds. A down side is that snares are not prejudiced, and non targets are an issue.

This is a good idea. But it takes more than a week a lot of times to start catching. And You need more than a week to learn.

Another good point. I've waited weeks for a snare or foothold to connect, but have also connected within days. Most times it's the longer of the two.