Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Crash course in salt water fishing...

Buckmaster

Portage
High water temps forced the fish away from the beaches and a little deeper. In shore boats are catching Spanish mackerel and Bluefish. Off shore boats did not make it off the dock last week with small craft advisories at 20-30 knots and waves 10-12 foot. I ended the week with 2 croakers on casts one and four and spent the rest of week consuming adult beverage.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Had a gift card to burn that I got from a rebate on my tires, so I turned it into some catfish/saltwater gear. Bought a cheap Shakespeare 7' medium action rod/reel combo that'll be plenty adequate for my skills and use. Grabbed a variety of hooks, swivels, floats, beads, etc. to do some pompano rigs and my traditional catfish rig. Also bought 20# fluro to string things up, and cheated by buying a prebuilt warreye leader that was made of steel line. I'm just a dumb old hillbilly catfisherman, but it seemed like it might work. Was worth $2.88 to see anyways!

I'll snap a pic of what I got when I'm down there. For $60, I'm set for catfishing at the very least.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I got options for wetting a line too. 😎

Screenshot_20190731-123318_Maps.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Had a gift card to burn that I got from a rebate on my tires, so I turned it into some catfish/saltwater gear. Bought a cheap Shakespeare 7' medium action rod/reel combo that'll be plenty adequate for my skills and use. Grabbed a variety of hooks, swivels, floats, beads, etc. to do some pompano rigs and my traditional catfish rig. Also bought 20# fluro to string things up, and cheated by buying a prebuilt warreye leader that was made of steel line. I'm just a dumb old hillbilly catfisherman, but it seemed like it might work. Was worth $2.88 to see anyways!

I'll snap a pic of what I got when I'm down there. For $60, I'm set for catfishing at the very least.

Damn good vacation rig buddy. If you start catching toofey critters you can probably find steel leaders in any shop that sells bait.

Reactions: bowhunter1023