Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Creamer's 2024/25 Season Journal

Creamer

Athens
I'm slow getting to this. Truth be told, I'm slow at a lot of things. 🤦‍♂️

Something that I felt like I was slow (or unwilling) to adapt to the past few seasons has been hunting an area/location the way it needs to be hunted instead of how I want to hunt it. I love being in a tree for deer season, but a few locations where I encountered a lot of deer and bucks lately have been in areas where it's hard (if not impossible) to get away with hanging in a small tree without a lot of cover around me. I spent a while getting my old ghillie suit trimmed up to avoid string interference, and also bought/assembled a ghillie boonie. A weakness in my ground hunting has been having a good chair option, and this year I'm trying (and so far loving) a waterfowl marsh seat. It's very comfortable to sit in and shoot from, and being a single post/leg, doesn't have leveling issues I have had from all other chairs I have tried.

Last weekend, I got some cameras up and prepped a few areas. One location, in particular, had a really solid ground setup location. There was already a natural little "nest" with some downed limbs, and I cleared it out a little to give myself room to operate. I'm really excited to hunt this spot.

View from inside the "nest." Deer like to parallel the thick cover behind the setup, and there's hardly any trees that are huntable. With a recurve, I can't set up for 35+ yard shots, so a ground approach should keep me better hidden and get me in range. There's a historical scrape in front of the setup, as well as converging trails.

As usual, I got a couple of mock scrapes going with the Branch Butter. That stuff smells like death but deer seem to love it.

I'm also excited to shoot these Simmons Swamp Sharks. I bought them before last season, and they flew great, but I could never get them sharp enough to feel confident to hunt with them. A friend suggested a YouTube tutorial and it solved my issues. The key to them (for me) was starting with a round chainsaw file to get the bevel cut/set. Now they are popping hair and feel downright dangerous.

Creamer

Athens
I got some good news earlier this week. The city of Athens is doing a pilot program this year to allow archery hunting only on specific pieces of property under city control. It is a lottery system, and I was drawn. The season is broken down into 4-week sections, and during the lottery process, hunters ranked both the time sections and locations in order of preference. My lottery results were for one of the pieces of ground I ranked in my top 3 for the opening 4-week stretch. Only one hunter is assigned to each section per time slot. Of course, the purpose of the program is to cut down on deer numbers, so the majority of the time slots are doe-only, including the time period I am assigned. That didn't matter to me, I was looking at it hoping for an easy doe opportunity and just to be a part of the program in the first trial run. Of course, it's also designed to make money. It was $10 to enter and another $100 if you are drawn and choose to participate. It's steep to kill a doe, but I honestly want to be a part of the program enough that I'm willing to pay it. The chunk of ground I am assigned to is about 23 acres, mostly wooded, and I'm excited to get in there and see what happens.

I also am highly encouraged that the city of Athens has finally taken notice that the deer numbers in the city are getting ridiculous.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County
Best of luck to you this season! Sounds exciting for sure! Harvest as many as can under that program if interested in getting the same opportunity again in the future or any other. My belief is harvest numbers of successful hunters in some programs matter, successful verses not.

Again, best of luck to you!

Reactions: Creamer

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My scouting trip in will hopefully tell me what to expect as far as numbers and how (if?) they'll react to me going in there. The campus deer are D-U-M sort of dumb. I'm not sure what to expect where I am going.
Can you sprinkle a little corn? On these elimination hunts it seems absurd that a person could not bait. Regardless what anyone says, to kill deer, bait makes a huge difference.

Good luck Jeff
I have a friend who was also drawn
He has questions on baiting
It will sure be interesting to see how it works out
Hopefully it will be a success and continue on next year
I am surprised at the participation fee, I read that Columbus and Cleveland paid a company an insane amount to cull the herds in city parks.
Seems like Athens is making money instead of spending money 🤷🏻‍♂️

Creamer

Athens
I went in on Saturday morning to scout the city land. I walked in optimistic, and walked out sort of "meh." There are some deer there, but from the sign I found, the numbers are not crazy high right there. Where I entered, behind some houses, the cover was very thick. I bounced at least one doe and found a decent amount of fresh sign. However, part of the rules/requirements is to maintain some distance from homes (200 feet minimum). The problem was when you got AWAY from that strip of heavy cover behind homes, it was relatively wide open woods.

I hung a camera on one of the few heavy trail intersections I found, and I have gotten a few single doe pics on that. As far as food goes, there were lots of red oak acorns but I've never had much success hunting reds until late in the season when the deer get desperate. I think the deer are spending more time in the thicker band of cover closer to where I entered, which poses some challenges. How close can/should I realistically hunt near back yards and, more importantly, how can I get in there cleanly when my entry point is basically where the deer are spending most of their time?

One of the better stand/saddle trees I found had a massive yellowjacket nest at the base of it that looked like a critter partially dug up.

And has anyone ever seen acorns like this? Never in my life have I seen acorns this color. They were essentially almost black. Of course, being this close to homes and in town, this could be some sort of non-native oak that spawned from a city planting?

Reactions: Big_Holla and giles

Creamer

Athens
Yesterday I scouted and hung a few cameras on private ground for a friend who lives out of state. It was the first time I had ever been on the property, so relying on OnX and his map suggestions helped guide me around. Some of the cover was insanely thick and almost impenetrable, with big chunks of old overgrown fields. The food there, though, was really good. In multiple locations, I found a LOT of white oak acorns on the ground. With the drought conditions, I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of mast. I told him it was a shame he wasn't coming in to hunt the early season, with all those nut trees producing.

Somehow, I am a magnet for ground-dwelling yellow devilwasps. I got way too close to this nest before I realized what I was about to step on.

Not far from the yellowjacket nest I found something on the ground I wasn't expecting: a pear. This one was rock hard, but I looked up, and the tree is absolutely studded with pears. My buddy said he was told of an old pear tree in that area but he had never found it. This thing will be hot when they ripen and start to fall.

Camera setups were over mock scrapes. He's had really good results with this stuff the past few years, but let me tell you...don't get this juice on you. I wore gloves dealing with the Wicked Wicks.

At the last setup I made for him, I was awaiting confirmation that the cell cam was operational and well-aimed, when I stepped on something. Something I have always heard about, always looked for, and honestly never found. A persimmon.

Upon further inspection, I found the tree, and more fruit on the ground. The tree was a large double-trunked persimmon tree. It's not too surprising that there were fresh rubs in the vicinity of the persimmon tree dropping fruit.

It was a fun but exhausting journey through that property. Too much time was spent pushing my way through thick cover and briars all hunched over, with vines and saplings snagging on my pack and arms. There's definitely a lot of deer on it, and some solid ones were spotted there last year.