Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Culling Deer

I've read several articles on culling deer by the state. The meat gets donated to locals that are in need and that's awesome. 💯

Most of the articles say the shooters are "designated marksmen" or "government sharpshooters".
Who are these shooters?
How are they selected?
What are their qualifications?

Most importantly.... I'd like to sign up for this program.
So, how does someone qualify for these events? Who do I contact? 🤔

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Also, it’s not as fun or glamorous as you would think. Someone has to field dress all those deer, and move and transport all those deer. Not to mention, the simple fact that shooting that many deer makes you callused to it, and it ruins your enjoyment while hunting for yourself.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Jim is 100% right! Any real deer hunter would be sic if they participated in a cull operation. Nothing good other than the hungry that get the meat.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
It's the same here in some areas. One of Michigan's university's just had one not long ago that I think went for a week straight or longer.

Also, it’s not as fun or glamorous as you would think. Someone has to field dress all those deer, and move and transport all those deer. Not to mention, the simple fact that shooting that many deer makes you callused to it, and it ruins your enjoyment while hunting for yourself.
I'm inclined to agree with you. 🤔
It could certainly take a person down a dark path and ruin hunting for you. :rolleyes:🚫☠️

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
A friend of a friend culls deer at the Columbiana County Airport. Don't know how he got the gig. He's an accuracy freak and groundhog hunter. I'm sure pretty every shot is a DRT.

Reactions: Bowhunter57