Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CWD in Ohio....

Jamie

Ohio
thank you.

I hate to come across sounding like such a wiseacre because I'm no expert, but it seems to me like this is issue much bigger and more dangerous than most people realize.

Reactions: Stressless

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
So, when do we quit eating deer meat? How in the hell do you know when it's time?

Fletch

Supporting Member
So, when do we quit eating deer meat? How in the hell do you know when it's time?

We don't... Eating it tonight... If the deer have it, so do the cows... Today, whats good for you??? Don't eat that or that or that, don't drink that or that or that... Don't worry, be happy, eat what you want... Somethings gotta kill ya sooner or later...

Jamie

Ohio
it's probably more likely that you'd get infected with some prion by breathing the dust from the bone meal you fertilize your roses with than eating the flesh of wild deer or sensibly raised cow, pig, or chicken. reality is that even if you are infected, you probably won't know it for 20 years. I'm not going to stop killing and eating deer or squirrels. I'm not going to stop buying quality beef, pork or chicken, but I am going to go out of my way to find clean, reputable, local sources for the meat I do buy from now on. I won't being eating any brain matter. not that I ever would, but I read a rather disturbing excerpt in a book about a very localized outbreak of CJD in Western Kentucky where eating squirrel brains was a common tradition. it was not a coincidence. the way I understand it, there is greater risk in consuming things that contain meat and bone by-products. the kind of stuff born in rendering plants and found in processed foods, fast foods, etc, and gelatin, of all things, is one of those things.

Bigcountry40

We don't... Eating it tonight... If the deer have it, so do the cows... Today, whats good for you??? Don't eat that or that or that, don't drink that or that or that... Don't worry, be happy, eat what you want... Somethings gotta kill ya sooner or later...

I think I will have that second pork chop and another beer tonight! We are like 10,000 years over due for another super volcano, kill-eat-drink beer-sleep be happy

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
For those interested...