Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dante's 2014 - 2015 season

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Well, I think it's time to start getting serious. I haven't been out since the opener other than strouds, and that was kinda half hearted. These cooler days and the leaves coming off have got me wanting to get out there. Got a ton of stuff to do today, then I'm getting my stuff resmoked, reorganized and getting ready to hit it hard starting next weekend. I hope I can get off these 10 hour days this week so I can hit it after work occasionally as well.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Well I just realized I haven't updated this thing in a bit...
since strouds i managed to get out for a quick after work hunt last week. Spotted a young buck working a scrape about 125 yard away.
I also slipped out last Sunday morning and had 4 does come in on me. They were in a hurry like something had spooked them. Lucky for them I already filled my antlerless tag.

So here we are it's halloween. I love to hunt on halloween...just wasn't in the cards this time. I was hoping to get off work early and be in a stand by 3:00. By the time I got out of there I was stinky from sweating all day and had copper corrosion and pipe dope all over my hands. I got back to town by 4:15 and could have probably pushed the issue and got in my stand by 5:00 but I made what I hope was the right decision and stayed out. It's too close to prime time to go stinking up my better stands and I was afraid it was too late in the day to risk blowing something out that was already on its feet. I hope I made the right call. I really wish I was in a stand tonight.

I am currently sitting on the edge of a cut corn field glassing. I doubt I will stick around long though, if big daddy steps out I'll just be pissed.

Hopefully I can get out in the morning, but tomorrow evening and Sunday morning are pretty much a given.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
last night i decided i needed to get in the climber for the first time this season. Wanted to make sure i could still get set up in a reasonable amount of time. i got to a nice looking spot and found a tree and started to climb. things went smoothly until i was ready to pull up my bow. the rope got wrapped around a twig on the ground and as i was pulling it up, the twig managed to open the caribener and unhook it from my bow. Fugg!

I stood there for a second in this swaying tree deciding what to do. The wind was coming right in from a field edge at this spot and was almost unbearable. I decided to leave my bow holder, and tree hook in the tree, climb down, leave the stand there for this morning. I went to a stand that was out of the wind for the rest of the evening and didnt see anything.

fast forward to this morning

My son jesse said he wanted to go out this morning, but after several failed attempts to wake him I almost went back to bed myself. I realized the climber was still on the tree and knew I was going to have to go get it. I got a really late start.
By the time I was in the woods and at my stand, it was already sunrise. I could see a couple deer out in the cut corn field so I wanted to get set up quickly in case they came my way.

I was about halfway up when the smaller of the 2 came in. I froze.
It poked around on the edge of the field for a minute and then turned and rejoined the other, larger, deer out in the corn.
i got the rest of the way up the tree, got everything pulled up and was just about to range a couple reference points when i noticed the larder deer coming up the field edge. it was a decent 8 point. He was coming into my shooting lane. At this point i still had my rangefinder in my hand, hadnt been able to use it yet. So I had to get that in my pocket, and get my bow without getting busted, and hopefully shoot this buck at what I was guessing to be about 25 to 30 yards. By the time all that happened he had already passed through the lane and was working up the trail away from me.

if only I had been in here a half hour earlier.

The other smaller deer turned out to be a little forkhorn and I wtched him come through the same spot and follow the same trail about 5 minutes later.

About 20 minutes later i heard a loud crack and a bunch of breaking branches from the direction those 2 deer went. i looked up there to see the forky standing there watching that 8 point and another buck getting squirrely with each other. A couple minutes later I see 2 does take off out of there with that 8 hot on their asses. They went up into the woods to the north of me and ran around for a while as the other 2 bucks wandered off to the south. (I never did get a good look at the 3rd buck) The 2 does ended up running back out into the cut corn field and up into a brushy fencerow. i thought the 8 had followed them so I figured i would hit the grunt and see If I could bring the other 2 back. I ended up bringing the 8 back. Unfortunately, i think he saw me. He stood on the field edge and stomped a couple times and then worked in around behind me like he wanted to get down wind of me but ended up walking away. He never seemed s[pooked but There was something he didnt care for.

This is the first time I have ever witnessed anything like this in the woods. i didnt kill anything but i will remeber this sit for a long time.

And next time I am getting the boy up no matter what I have to do,.