Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dave's Ride Along

bigdave

Sorry for no updates folks. I have pulled all but 3 K9 traps so not much to keep catches coming in. Did miss a fox at the set that caught the coyote Sunday. He missed the pan by an inch or so at most. Will reset Sunday after the orange army slows down a bit. I have 5 fresh farms to set so catches should be plentiful. While deer hunting today I found a TON of beaver sign. The trails leading up the bank were huge. They have been cutting in an old apple orchard and are mowing off a bunch of trees. The landowner wants them gone so hopefully it doesn't freeze too solid before the season comes in Dec. 26

bigdave

Are you modifying your coil springs? 2 coil or 4? What traps are they?im ab to buy 12 new montana #2 modifieds

I started out 3 years ago using standard #2 Bridger 2 coils. I had more pull outs with them than any other trap I have used. I now use MB550's and will never look back for another K9 trap. Right out of the box they are ready to go. I added 18" of #2 twist link chain and a Dirt devil stake.

How much are you going to pay for the Modded Montana's. You can get the Cadillac's (550'2) for $189 a dozen

Last edited:

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I can't wrap my head around trapping... I can see where it could be "fun", but for being a pretty ruthless guy, I can't bring myself to do it.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Just imagine a yote finding a fawn and ripping it Apart while its still alive tearing at its intestines and dragging them through the weeds while the fawn tries to run away bawling for its mother to help..... ..they will get better treatment from a steel trap than they will mother nature i promise

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I understand how the world works Milo, thanks. I prefer to hunt them rather than have them sit in a trap for 8 or more hours, is all.

Diablo54

Outside
I understand how the world works Milo, thanks. I prefer to hunt them rather than have them sit in a trap for 8 or more hours, is all.

The trap is not as painful as you are imagining. It's a tight hold. Not a bone breaking grip. Trapping is way more productive than hunting In my parts. Up in the northern part of the state it may not be so, but here it is and always will be unless an awesome method is made up.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yeah, tough to hunt the things in the thick, hilly parts here. They don't go running through the open fields to calls here like they do on TV out west. An our open fields are surrounded by thick strip mined hills that give them great cover to sneak through.

bigdave

I appreciate your opinions fellas. Trapping is not for everyone just as hunting isn't for everyone. It is what I enjoy doing with my sons and friends. I do the farmers I trap for a valuable service. Just ask the one who offered me $200 bucks after I caught 2 beaver that weren't even on his property but downstream from his farms. They were backing up the tiles and flooding his ground. This is supposed to be a ride along to show those who don't trap some of the catches and methods I use. I would appreciate if we could keep this thread on topic and if you want to start your own thread containing your views please feel free to do so. I believe there is a predator hunting thread on this forum.

Kaiser878

ohio
I started out 3 years ago using standard #2 Bridger 2 coils. I had more pull outs with them than any other trap I have used. I now use MB550's and will never look back for another K9 trap. Right out of the box they are ready to go. I added 18" of #2 twist link chain and a Dirt devil stake.

How much are you going to pay for the Modded Montana's. You can get the Cadillac's (550'2) for $189 a dozen

Dave, WHen you were using the bridgers what style were they? Square or round Jaw? Offset jaw? and were you using pump springs?

bigdave

Ok not a lot of new fur total of 4 coon and 1 more coyote this week. I cant complain with the few traps I have out. The blind set at the bridge took #9 and #10 for that 1 set. Man it would be nice to have a dozen sets like that. I would post pics of the coon but they all look the same at the end of a drowner. Coyote taken in post set using Blackies fox urine only squirted on a corn stalk about a foot high. I transplanted it into a picked bean field about 10 yds from woods edge

Couple pictures of coyote

Here is my little trapping buddy Grant with his first ever red fox before we turned it fur out. I helped him set some DP's and snares last week. He has caught 3 coon and this red so far

The finished pelt