Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Daytona 500 2021

Hunter II

Hard to believe it’s been 20 years.

Attachments

• 0A06CC78-54B2-418E-87F1-A54D74F0FE64.jpeg
    0A06CC78-54B2-418E-87F1-A54D74F0FE64.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 73

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I tried to become a Nascar fan once. Really wanted to be. My good friends (next door neighbor and buddies) are into it; I went to races at KY and over at ORP, it was exciting to be at, but it just didn't stick on me. I mean I can appreciate it a little, but just couldn't be brought to give a flying fuck. So now I know a little vocabulary and Nascar ettiquette so to speak, but really can't be persuaded to give a fuck.

And fuck the NBA and Major League Baseball. Part of me misses NFL, but fuck those guys too, twice in fact.

I tried to become a Nascar fan once. Really wanted to be. My good friends (next door neighbor and buddies) are into it; I went to races at KY and over at ORP, it was exciting to be at, but it just didn't stick on me. I mean I can appreciate it a little, but just couldn't be brought to give a flying fuck. So now I know a little vocabulary and Nascar ettiquette so to speak, but really can't be persuaded to give a fuck.

And fuck the NBA and Major League Baseball. Part of me misses NFL, but fuck those guys too, twice in fact.
Last year I was going to watch more Nascar and give it a whirl. After several got canceled due to Covid and then the whole Bubba Wallace thing I just didn't enjoy it. I mean I didn't see Ricky Bobby out there and I didn't see any real Shake N Bake goin on! In all seriousness, I would love to go watch a race or two tho.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Never interested me... Can't seem to get into watching cars go around a circle... With the whole Bubba thing that really sealed the deal just like all major sports...

Reactions: Big_Holla

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Attending a race is definitely a different experience. I went to races in the mid 90s. They were an absolute blast. People hauling beer and booze into the seats in coolers. Chicken bones flying. Lots of trash talking.

You can feel and smell the cars going around the track.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I missed the race being it was on late lol.

I think everyone should try and visit atleast 1 race in their lifetime. Camping for the weekend and staying until Monday while everyone pulls out is just flat out fun. Few things cooler feeling/seeing than a 750hp car going 200mph a few yards away from you. Down at the fence the rubber pellets and asphalt stones will hit you in the face. When 43 of them fire up, you feel it in your core no matter where you are at the track.

Unfortunately NASCAR is not what it was to me 20yrs ago, but I despise basketball and since there is no college football or baseball on, it fits the bill. Plus, I just love hp....NHRA and tractor pulls any day of the week please!

Isaacorps

Columbus
To Adam’s point, I love going to races in person. He nailed the description of the experience. Watching on TV, eh, not so much. Boring af in my book. Anything that lasts 3+ hrs and allows you to catch a 90 minute nap in the middle and not miss anything isn’t quite my idea of a good time.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Used to be a big fan, the wife and I would go to 8-10 races a year, back when they raced close to us. We have a scanner and headsets, which is really cool because you can listen to the drivers you like, listen to the radio guys cut up during the commercials.

Then Dale Sr. died and it went down hill from there, I know several people that used to and some that still do work on race teams. They said no one really knew how much influence Dale had on how nascar did things.

I was at a martinsville race one year and it had been raining and it was up in the air if they were going to race. We saw Dale and Teresa walk across the track and leave and I told the guys I was with, let go and beat the traffic, Dale told them they weren’t racing today and he is going home. Well they wouldn’t listen and sure enough about 15 minutes latter they came on the loud speakers and canceled the race.

Damn I still miss watching #3 tear it up on the track.