Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer / Car Accidents

rrr

Well, looks like Hoyt isn't doing his job :D I believe this 100%, there are spots on the road in Richland County where deer get hit every week, year round. Not joking.

Vehicle-deer collisions are a part of life for Ohio motorists. In 2009, the number of this type of crash report climbed 2.3 percent statewide, but remains well below previous years.

In Richland County, authorities were alerted to 721 car-deer crashes in 2009, according to the Ohio Department of Public Safety -- the most in the state.

Now is the time for drivers to reacquaint themselves with deer-specific driving strategies. October is the month when car-deer collisions start to mount, according to the Highway Data Loss Institute, but they traditionally peak in November, the height of the breeding season. About half of all car-deer crashes last year in Ohio happened in those two months, Ohio Department of Public Safety data shows.

State Farm, the nation's largest auto insurer, calls Ohio a high-risk state for car-deer incidents. The insurer predicts that in the next year, 1 in 121 Ohio drivers will have a run-in with a member of the state's 750,000-strong deer herd. Those odds are higher here than in the past three years, though the methodology was slightly different, according to State Farm spokeswoman Kim Lust.

Ohio ranks 15th in State Farm's list of states prone to car-deer crashes. Border states West Virginia and Michigan are No. 1 and 3, respectively.

The vast majority of incidents involving deer leave those in the vehicle unhurt. Still, 51 people died in the Buckeye State between 2004 and 2008 from injuries suffered in a deer-related crash, the institute reports.

TOP FIVE COUNTIES FOR CAR-DEER CRASHES IN 2009

Richland -- 721
Stark -- 655
Hamilton -- 614
Summit -- 575
Lorain -- 547
OTHER STATISTICS

Ashland -- 336
Crawford -- 277
Ohio -- 25,146

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I believe the numbers, It is bad in stark county and its already starting. The really bad part of it is, alot of those are in the city limits.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I know 2 places here in Crawford that are notorious for deer/MVA's but nothing can been done because the land owners will not allow hunting. One property is owned by a church with the main office being in Cleveland and the other was donated to the county to become a nature park a couple years ago. I have asked for permission on both properties and was told NO. When I brought up the issue of deer being hit and killed by vehicles and most times left to waste and if I was allowed to hunt this area and able to take even just one I would potentially reduce this from happening. I was laughed at. I even offered to donate the meat when I asked the church and it was still a no go. Oh well I guess. I tried to help.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I know 2 places here in Crawford that are notorious for deer/MVA's but nothing can been done because the land owners will not allow hunting. One property is owned by a church with the main office being in Cleveland and the other was donated to the county to become a nature park a couple years ago. I have asked for permission on both properties and was told NO. When I brought up the issue of deer being hit and killed by vehicles and most times left to waste and if I was allowed to hunt this area and able to take even just one I would potentially reduce this from happening. I was laughed at. I even offered to donate the meat when I asked the church and it was still a no go. Oh well I guess. I tried to help.

I think places like that should be made to carry higher insurance premiums. Or, if not higher then at least a discount for allowing deer hunting. The state has increased the bag limit so high that many rural areas are seeing way less deer. Don't be fooled, they did this to appease the insurance companies. But the real problem is in Urban / suburban areas where hunting is not allowed. Screw the state, screw the DNR.. If an insurance company wants to lower their DVA's start offering "discounts" to landowners that allow hunting. Why not? They offer discounts for everything else.. Accident free / safe driver / accident avoidance training etc. Why not property owner who allows hunting.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I think places like that should be made to carry higher insurance premiums. Or, if not higher then at least a discount for allowing deer hunting. The state has increased the bag limit so high that many rural areas are seeing way less deer. Don't be fooled, they did this to appease the insurance companies. But the real problem is in Urban / suburban areas where hunting is not allowed. Screw the state, screw the DNR.. If an insurance company wants to lower their DVA's start offering "discounts" to landowners that allow hunting. Why not? They offer discounts for everything else.. Accident free / safe driver / accident avoidance training etc. Why not property owner who allows hunting.

Because the anti's would turn that into bad press.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Because the anti's would turn that into bad press.

All the insurance company would have to do is a PSA....

Black Screen, White writing...

"In Ohio 25,146 Deer meet this fate Every year."

Dash-cam video of a police cruiser smacking a deer at 65+ mph.....

Fade back to black.. White wording

That's 1 every 21 minutes

"More Humane???"

That'll shut those libtards up real fast.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'm really surprised with the law suit happy people that seem to win frivolous cases like " The lady that sued Winnebago " or the one that sued Mc D's " that the Land owner or the ODNR hasn't been sued for deer/car accidents yet. Or somebody hasn't figure out how to turn such an accident in on the land owners home/property insurance yet.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
This ties directly to the "non-huntable" thread I started.

I see so many deer (big ones and in large numbers) in the suburbs around Cleveland that can't be touched. You can't drive through the metro-parks or the CVNP without seeing them all over. I know some local ordinances are now allowing it and they typically require a doe before taking a buck, but the landowners still won't allow it. Well, they won't allow it till they have one kiss the front end of their fancy over-priced foreign vehicle.

I have lost count at 60+ deer in a single field within 20 miles of downtown Cleveland. I think I saw a report 3-4 years ago that the CVNP averaged 180+ deer per square mile. I believe the same article said average carrying capacity of a square-mile of land is only 20 or so deer.

Unfortunately, I don't see things changing much even if insurance breaks were provided.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Guy at work here lives in parma and tags out every year. Him and all three of his sons tag out every year. and it out of his back yard. There is a gully back there and it is riddled with deer, their bedding area is about 1/2 mile from his house and they all travel by him to get to themetro parks. He has said there has been days it looks like a line for cedar point going through there. They are so over populated in the cleveland area it is rediculous...