Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Gun Harvest Totals Decline

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Interesting way to look at it. I hadn't considered it that way. As stated I'm observing. Undecided on my position about this. After reading your post I ponder their thoughts. Is it: perfect! Worked exactly as we intended. Or is it: Oh shit. We killed way more than we thought and didn't know how many we had to start with.

Could be either one in my eyes. Thanks Kim. Never thought about it that way. I'll continue only shooting does where I see a lot. In my area seeing 6-8 in a group is a lot. Always has been that way. A group of 6-8 mixed with yearlings and 2-4yr old does is a "nice sized group" on a property. Some hunts you see them. Some hunts they are on a neighboring property.

Please refer to posts 7 & 11 in this thread. Kim said it more elegantly, but this is the way i think and why i feel its a simple situation of successfully meeting a goal. Unfortunately it is a goal that does not represent the best interest of hunters and they are starting to voice their opinion. I fully support the efforts of the ODNR, its just a one sided conversation at this time so just like anything else in life when change is wanted, a squeeky wheel is created.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Please refer to posts 7 & 11 in this thread. Kim said it more elegantly, but this is the way i think and why i feel its a simple situation of successfully meeting a goal. Unfortunately it is a goal that does not represent the best interest of hunters and they are starting to voice their opinion. I fully support the efforts of the ODNR, its just a one sided conversation at this time so just like anything else in life when change is wanted, a squeeky wheel is created.

I've tried to stay out of this thread. There is a lot of butthurt in this subject. lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Just had a situation happen where I had to check myself. Someone came out to hunt part of the property I hunt that hasn't been out all year or helped with anything hunting wise. Rolled up, got out, went straight to woods. I understand some people aren't as serious as others. I'm perfectly fine with that.
It makes me happy to see people out in the outdoors and such! Anyway, I tried to explain to this person that there isn't many does to begin with. I explained that I have passed on many to try to allow the population to grow. That it shouldn't be "it's brown, it's down" because we don't have the numbers. I don't think he was having it. I had to check myself because I found myself a little irritated at the situation. I put a lot of work in this year and am trying to get the herd to recover. I feel I have a pretty good idea of what's around after running cams all year long. Nothing I can do about it. I wished him goodluck and told him I wanted to see a nice hero picture and I'd come help drag with atv.

I guess my round about way of getting to the point of this story is that I can now see that some sort of education probably needs to happen. Not only for the betterment of my hunting(yes, I'm not that shallow) but, for my future kids experience, and their kids experience. I wish I had the numbers to say "yeah feel free to come out and shoot one that walks by" to people that are getting into it. But until then, I tried to educate a little and inform of the situation. However, it can't be done in 5 minutes.

I hope this post doesn't come across and make me sound like an asshole. I really do hope they are successful and kill a nice buck.

One of the properties I hunt had 3 people with permission and it was only 100 acres with 80% being ag fields.... First year the one guy had permission, he showed up with his son and a friend and they pretty much shot anything that strolled by... The main guy hit 5 and recovered 1.... After that year the sightings dropped off too nil.... The other guy (a friend of mine) went to hunt one of my stands and one of the three were hunting it.... He tried to tell him it was his stand lol.... My buddy said that's pretty amazing that we put up your stand for you outta the goodness of our hearts.... Told him he'd count to 3 and you ass better be moving outta there..... The guy left and we really hadn't seen him since.... That was two years ago, and it's now just starting too turn around and we're seeing decent numbers but smaller deer on average....
Hoping next year is even better.... But the mentality of people out there, and especially the ones who don't either have the time or the inclination too put the time in will boggle your mind....

Deerhuntingguy

Happy New Year to all,let's hope and pray for the best in the new year coming.
Interesting article,,, I personally think the deer numbers,( at least in my parts are good) . Less people are gun hunting
More are doing the crossbows,archery,,,longer season,nicer weather, so the gun #s will be down.
I remember 5 years ago driving to my place,there were cars parked,trucks all up down the sides of roads,
Orange power rangers getting ready for the woods, they seemed everywhere
Now I see not a one! To an from my place, not even seeing any "strange" boots prints were there not suppose to be.
Check an see if the archery totals for the season are,then look at maybe 5 yrs back,they should give a glimpse,
Of the 6 friends I had after high school days,none of them gun hunt anymore,
Hunt safe...