Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Harvest #'s

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
We can't even crack 500!!!! I wish my county had 1500 hell even 900 I can't even imagine what a day in the deer stand would be like!

Bigcountry40

And populated by nasty ass self absorbed humans.

Yeah majority of the "community woods" suck and the woods that hold any kind of deer are ran by nazi's, main reason I don't rabbit hunt until deer season is over. It don't help that every farmer in this part of the state cuts down or burns habitat for 1 row of corn/beans they wont see a return on until their great grand children are 50

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Yeah majority of the "community woods" suck and the woods that hold any kind of deer are ran by nazi's, main reason I don't rabbit hunt until deer season is over. It don't help that every farmer in this part of the state cuts down or burns habitat for 1 row of corn/beans they wont see a return on until their great grand children are 50

I miss the days of fence rows!!! Those were wildlife super highways!!!

Gordo

Athens County
The idea of 'deer management units' sounds great.

Micro Level management. Sign me up.

Perfect idea, but...

Who in da fugg is going to figure all that out and what are they going to use to figure it out?

For that idea to be successful, your assuming that the ODNR is going to be successful at micro managing the deer herd.

That's a big assumption.

Lundy

The numbers as reported by ODNR

2016 Gun - 75,987
2017 Gun - 86,929

2016 MZ - 15,843
2017 MZ - 13,268

2016 Youth - 5,930
2017 Youth - 4,958

2016 Archery - 82,488
2017 Archery - 81,092

The idea of 'deer management units' sounds great.

Micro Level management. Sign me up.

Perfect idea, but...

Who in da fugg is going to figure all that out and what are they going to use to figure it out?

For that idea to be successful, your assuming that the ODNR is going to be successful at micro managing the deer herd.

That's a big assumption.

I haven't seen the proposed Deer Management Units for Ohio, but I know in PA they are much larger than a county for the majority of them. I think there is 67 counties in PA and I think there is 21 Management Units. That is not really micromanagement. In PA when you purchase antlerless licenses they can be used anywhere in that Management Units. Each unit only has so many antlerless tags.

Gordo

Athens County
I haven't seen the proposed Deer Management Units for Ohio, but I know in PA they are much larger than a county for the majority of them. I think there is 67 counties in PA and I think there is 21 Management Units. That is not really micromanagement. In PA when you purchase antlerless licenses they can be used anywhere in that Management Units. Each unit only has so many antlerless tags.

Copy that.

I was spewing shit without knowing the exact details/clueless.

For whatever reason, I was thinking a 'deer management unit' was going to be small/specific areas. Really specialized.

I love the idea of someone being able to 'propose' their own regulations on their private property/surrounding properties by backing it up with solid information. It's a pipe dream and will never happen at that micro level.

IF some kind of program like that could be figured out, the ODNR would have an army of die hard deer hunters working freely for them and would be collecting data to determine individual 'bag limits' and other goals at a micro level.

The logistics of figureing all that out would be ridiculous.

Time for me to go to bed. I'm not even sure if what I just posted makes sense to me. [emoji23][emoji1598]

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Less does means fewer bucks being born which means fewer bucks make it to maturity. It's the difference in bringing home 4 bananas from the store instead of 8 because two of the 8 turned brown last time. If they don't exist in the first place they can't turn brown on your counter before you eat them all.