Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Harvest Up 12.5% Opening Day

rrr

December 1, 2010

Ohio deer season starts bigger than last year

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Ohio's deer season for gun hunters got off to a big start.

The state Division of Wildlife says hunters bagged more than 37,800 white-tailed deer on Monday's opening day of the nine-day season. The preliminary total was up 12.5 percent from last year's first day.

Officials say in a statement that the statewide hunt got under way with "near ideal weather."

Tuscarawas County in eastern Ohio had the highest number of deer counted at check stations Monday, more than 1,800.

The season runs through Sunday and then resumes for two more days over the Dec. 18-19 weekend.

This year's deer-gun season was expected to draw about 420,000 hunters, including many from outside Ohio.

Yup, just I like called it. A whole lotta buck deerz and doe deerz and button buck deerz is gonna die this week.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Wasn't it raining opening day last year ? Compared to this year where it was fairly nice out I would hope the numbers would be up over last years opening day :smiley_crocodile:

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I'm not surprised they are up over last year due to the rain. However, I don't think it was a great day based on the reports I have heard. I know of a dozen people that scored on opening day last year that didn't this year. Having talked to most everyone I know that hunted Monday in Washington County, the general concensus was the hunting sucked despite it being a nice day. I'm sure yesterday was a wash as well...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No big surprise there... weather was terrible last year on the opener. I agree, gecko, today and the rest of the week oughta be dynamite.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
No big surprise there... weather was terrible last year on the opener. I agree, gecko, today and the rest of the week oughta be dynamite.

The weather might be great for hunting but take a minute and think of how many people already did drives and have the deer driven out or holed up now. I know out where I am hunting they drove the woods and fields opening morning. I'm sure the deer have run to the sanctuary only to return after dark and leave well before sun up.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I didn't get one, so opening day of gun season sucked :smiley_baby::smiley_baby::smiley_bril:

C'mon Friday! (and sat and sun)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The weather might be great for hunting but take a minute and think of how many people already did drives and have the deer driven out or holed up now. I know out where I am hunting they drove the woods and fields opening morning. I'm sure the deer have run to the sanctuary only to return after dark and leave well before sun up.

I think most of the die-hard deer drivers start pushing deer at first light on opening day anyway (which is fuckin ridiculous, of course). I don't think the good weather is going to result in a better harvest due to increased deer movement... instead, the good weather is going to put more hunters in the woods, which then results in a better harvest. Especially this snow... I mean, who doesn't get fired up to deer hunt in some fresh snow?!?!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am guessing yesterday's numbers offset Monday's numbers. Rest of the week? Much colder, windy, and chances for more snow. That will keep some of them home. That will bring some of the others out too though. I didn't hear of a ton of guys tagging any deer. I haven't hunted all week.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Hunted all day Monday and Yesterday.

Monday only 2 shots till about 10, then from 10 to 12 there were another 20 or so shots that I heard. Many of those sounded like multiple shots and the same deer. A few I even thought, "well your gun isn't plugged." Didn't hear much Monday afternoon/evening as far as shooting.

Yesterday was quiet. I don't think I heard more than 6-7 shots all day.

I will be interested to see the numbers after week 1.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My cousin hunted bordering public ground in southern Ohio opening day and said he counted 127 shots from opening light til about 11am. Dang. I didn't hunt, but the guys I talked to around here heard random shots here and there. Been road scouting and yesterday i only saw about 3 different trucks parked in various spots. You can find that many driving around opening day of bow season. I really think this weekend is going to have the woods packed! We will see. I need to get off this site, finish some paperwork and hit the woods myself.