Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Derek j's 2011 hunting log

Derek j

Knox Co.
After a few morning and evening hunts the past few weeks, and not seeing anything, I am looking forward to this coming week. I finally seen a buck yesterday cruising, but it didn't come close enough to see its size. My son played in the colt football championship today (we won! Repeat champions!) So after the game I headed out to the stand. Unfortunately, the neighbors kids decided it was a good time to play in the woods. So I didn't see squat. To make matters worse, their father came out right at sunset and started hollering at them to clean up. And apparently his kids are semi-deaf, because he was screaming at the top of his lungs. Luckily they will be at school and work all week, so I should get some good hunting in. Will check in tomorrow at sunrise!

Derek j

Knox Co.
I think the neighbors have something against me. Usually during the week they stay quiet and out of the woods. I have a really good trail about 60 yards from the property line, so I set up in the climber this evening with high hopes. An hour after getting setup, I have a young doe coming down the hill to my left. It cuts off the trail, but the small 4pt that was following her stay straight and passed me broadside at 20yds. Not long after that, I hear a whole bunch of deer running towards me.....and then it happens. The numbnut dad starts hollering.....look at the deer! And then decides that it would be fun to chase them across his property. He got as close as 60 yards to me before he finally turned back to their house. I understand its their property and they can do what they want.....but when my truck is parked in plain view, they know I'm hunting. Wish I would of had the money to buy the house and land when it was for sale.....stupid city slicker decides he wants to be a country boy. Sorry......rant over!
Ended the night with 3 deer seen walking and about 6-8 running shit scared.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
I hunted up your way tonight and did't see a thing,,,that was my 3rd hunt of the year my 2 previous hunts I seen atround 12 deer each time

Derek j

Knox Co.
Been a good morning so far. Seen 3 does and a couple bucks. Little fork horn and a decent eight that I hopefully got a video of. He bedded down near a doe 50 yds behind me. Took a lot not to shoot him....best deer I have had a shot at in 3 yrs. Hope the morning continues to be productive

Derek j

Knox Co.
If only the neighboring property owners felt the same way. Damn Amish shoot everything that moves, and the city boy that lives next to us leases his 25 acres to the Amish during gun season. Talk about a QDMA nightmare.

Derek j

Knox Co.
Well, the video didn't turn out near as well as I wanted. I have one of the key fob cameras that.I mount on my stab. I thought I positioned the bow down enough to tape the sucker.....but most of it is big buck butt! I did manage to video a small 6 pt with my phone. He was more worried about the doe pee on the trail than me. I will post the video up tonight if I can remember.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1320351011605.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1320351011605.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 228

epe

Lancaster
Well, the video didn't turn out near as well as I wanted. I have one of the key fob cameras that.I mount on my stab. I thought I positioned the bow down enough to tape the sucker.....but most of it is big buck butt! I did manage to video a small 6 pt with my phone. He was more worried about the doe pee on the trail than me. I will post the video up tonight if I can remember.

That 6pt has a ton of white on his feet. Looks like he has socks on.

I feel your QDMA pain Derek. I only own 10 acres and trying to let them grow is near impossible. Luckily most of my neighbors don't hunt. But, enough guys infiltrate the area in gun week to thin out most of the good ones. I'd love to give this deer one more year to explode in to a great one. But, if I get the chance I am going to take him.

Attachments

• PICT1920.jpg
    PICT1920.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 182
  • PICT1912.jpg
    PICT1912.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 179