Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Different ways to enjoy your venison

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
So with my deer today I'm going to experiment some.

Deer ribs, going to try them, Rinella and others swear by them.

Going to take at least one of muscle groups from the rear hindquarters and make venison pastrami.

I've got some chunk bear meat, mix that with some venison, and pork butt and will make some brats of some (or multiple) varieties.

Any other suggestions for fun and interesting ways to enjoy your harvest?

Bowkills

Nw oh
Ive never smoked after the pickle process for pastrami, but enjoy awsome ruebens, a st pats roast with cabbage and breakfast hash after curing. I bet some smoke would make a killer hash!!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I like my ground deer in a bowl.
I like my deer steaks with a roll.
I like my deer roasts in a crock,
with bacon/taters in a knot.

I like the rump and back straps too.
I like the chops with barbeque.

But most of all, when no one's home
I thaw that package no one's known.
The Tenderloin is just for me.
I shot the deer, now leave me be.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Reactions: Big_Holla

Bowkills

Nw oh
IMG_0006.jpg
for the tight asses who dont like kits....if u get instacure pink salt for 10 dollars u can cure 100s of lbs....

Reactions: "J" and Stressless

Bowkills

Nw oh
IMG_0007.jpg
ive been cutting out some cure on this as its strong enough and burning the meat red at 5 and not 7.5 for hams i feel. But if u corn or cure alot of meat skip the kits and buy salts.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have some experience curing meats. There are 2 main ways to do curing. The recipes above will cure meats just fine but require timing or else the salt/spice/cure may be TOO strong in them. The other (and my preferred way) is to do what is called Equilibrium curing. This is where you put a specific amount of salt and curing salt (either 1 or 2 depending on the application) based upon the weight of the piece of meat. Then if life gets to me and I don't get to my piece of bacon for 6 weeks or 3 months it won't be unedible, it'll be just as good as if I had gotten to it in 7 days.

I can do a whole 'nother post on curing. Also be careful on cutting down the amount of cure on those recipes. The cure is to prevent botulism and that's a scary bug to deal with.

Reactions: Bowkills

Bowkills

Nw oh
Morton's Tenderquick is a specific mixture of both salt (sugar i think) and instacure #1 which is also known as prague #1
I was just trying to save some people some cash by skipping a big store same method n both recipes but possibly a product they all ready have on their shelf or get on their next trip to town with tender quick. Or get many many cures for cheap. sorry, continue with the deer eats....