Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DIY Minerals: Part II

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I do. I purchase two bags of Trace Mineral Salt as part of the mix which is two parts that, a part Di-Calcium Phosphate, and one part stock salt.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I picked up my supplies over the weekend. But it rained hard Sunday night and I can't get across my creek. Maybe today. I never tried a lick before. 20 yrs ago I put out 3 bags of straight salt in 3 differant s[ots and never seen any evidence of use.
Frank

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yes. But I may be done. I bought some of the trace mineral blocks from Rural King this year and they worked great. For the price, I may forego my mix going forward. See how I feel in the spring.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I use it. Great for spring and summer. They don't hit they stuff now though. At least not based on what I've seen the last few years.

Once the leaves come off they cover it up and it pretty much seals it for a few months..... I've brushed the leaves off a few times and it just covered up again the next time I go by.... There is a nice little divot in the ground where they've hit it....

reo

N.E. Ohio
I use it. Great for spring and summer. They don't hit they stuff now though. At least not based on what I've seen the last few years.

I read somewhere that deer need the minerals in spring and summer to help digest what they are eating. Once fall/winter comes and their diet changes the don't need the minerals as much or at all. I don't know if it's true but makes sense as they use what I put out mostly in spring and summer as well

reo

N.E. Ohio

I read somewhere that deer need the minerals in spring and summer to help digest what they are eating. Once fall/winter comes and their diet changes the don't need the minerals as much or at all. I don't know if it's true but makes sense as they use what I put out mostly in spring and summer as well.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I read somewhere that deer need the minerals in spring and summer to help digest what they are eating. Once fall/winter comes and their diet changes the don't need the minerals as much or at all. I don't know if it's true but makes sense as they use what I put out mostly in spring and summer as well.

You can say that again.... lol....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I spread the last of my mix this year. It was used lightly the first 2 yrs but now I have constant cam pictures of use even now. Plus the ground is starting to be dug up.

TimBuckToo

A mineral site is something I've been strongly considering but just never got around to for whatever reason. But I'll be stopping at the feed mill on the way home and picking up the minerals mentioned above.

Pictures to come soon, Thanks!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm moving mine this year to take advantage of a natural mineral seep I found on the farm. Should be interesting to see what happens this year. It's been a while since I've had a good buck as a regular at the lick. Hoping this changes that.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Is that the seep you posted a photo of last year? If so, I bet it becomes a hot spot.

Yep. Not sure how I missed it all these years, but I'm glad I found it! When I showed my buddy, he took a big handful of the mud and smelled it. Smelled like a roll of pennies. Pretty neat find.