Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doe Or Yearling.

Which one would you shoot

• Doe

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Yearling

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Say you have both a doe and a yearling with no spots walk in. Which one would you shoot?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Definitely the doe. I'm assuming that by yearling, you mean a fawn (6 mo old). Even though the fawn would taste better, I'll get more bang for my buck by shooting the adult doe.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
A First year doe can usually throw 1 fawn, if successfully bred.
Second year Does can throw two fawns.
In the third year they can throw 2-3 fawns.

If a doe and a yearling walk in. And you shoot the yearling. You essentially killed "maybe" 1 fawn it would have thrown in spring, if old enough to throw any at all.

Now if you shoot the doe you undoubtedly removed the 2 - 3 fawns she would have thrown next spring...

1 fawn lost by shooting the yearling, Maybe, if she was old enough.
Versus a guaranteed 2 maybe 3 lost by shooting the Adult doe.

To me.. I'll shoot the yearling.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ok, you threw me off on this one. When most guys say "yearling," they really mean a fawn. I figured you knew the difference, but your reference to "no spots" had me thinking that you meant fawn.

I think your logic makes a lot of sense, especially if you're hunting in an area with a sub-par population density. On another note... A buddy of mine owns a deer farm, and he's told me that 60% or so of the genetics passed on are from the doe. I don't know if that's true or not... but, I tell you what, if there's a mature doe standing there that just spit out twin or triplet button bucks, I'm letting her ass walk... she's a fuggin gold mine, man. Bring on the yearling in that case.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I guess it depends on your management goals. Most of the properties I hunt my permission to hunt is dependant on killing as many deer as I can. Some years we lay off the does others the landowners says "If you guys want to keep excusive FREE rights to this property I want every deer you see killed, I lost 40k in sweetcorn this summer".

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Jackalope
A First year doe can usually throw 1 fawn, if successfully bred.
Second year Does can throw two fawns.
In the third year they can throw 2-3 fawns.

If a doe and a yearling walk in. And you shoot the yearling. You essentially killed "maybe" 1 fawn it would have thrown in spring, if old enough to throw any at all.

Now if you shoot the doe you undoubtedly removed the 2 - 3 fawns she would have thrown next spring...

1 fawn lost by shooting the yearling, Maybe, if she was old enough.
Versus a guaranteed 2 maybe 3 lost by shooting the Adult doe.

To me.. I'll shoot the yearling.

And get 1/2 the meat that a doe would provide. There are plenty of does around here. A few thinned out won't hurt the balance of nature here.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Depends on the property. The properties I hunted last year I would take any doe I could and would still love a crack at a couple of the more mature does. This would be a challenge in those woods. The one new property I am hunting this year I have seen very few does. I have seen more bucks than does actually. The bucks all seem to be of the same genetics as the one doe. She will live as long as possible if I have my way. The other properties, I could still take five does a year (if it were legal) and these properties would still be full of deer. They would be super skiddish, nocturnal deer, but full of them.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jackalope
And get 1/2 the meat that a doe would provide. There are plenty of does around here. A few thinned out won't hurt the balance of nature here.

True. But I can shoot 6 deer in southern ohio and 4 more around where i live.

A yearling is defined as an animal in it's 2nd year. I should have been more precise with my ages. Only about 25% of fawns born in June are bred, usually in December or January. And they will throw 1 fawn of which isn't likely to make it. So by the next time The rut rolls around those fawns are 1.5 yo or "yearlings" Most of these deer will have 1 fawn with the exception maybe the original 25% that came in early their first rut actually having twins. This is why I will shoot a 1.5 yo yearling or even a fawn (if good sized) over a doe with twins that is probably a 2.5 yo.