Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dog training collar

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Found out today that he was surrendered because his owner went to jail for a domestic and the other half couldn't keep him.

Still haven't been given the approval yet but we haven't been told no yet either. Still in the race at this point. Driving the wife nuts waiting to find out.

See, this is where I have a problem with this whole system. I get it there’s dirtbags out there that’ll just turn around and try and sell it for a profit but that’s the minority of the time not the norm....

Reactions: RedCloud

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I've had good luck with my SportDog collars, but barely used them with Lulu. Remi was stubborn as hell and it was a necessity with him, but I've trained her on snacks and praise. Each dog's personality really determines the overall need for an e-collar IMO.

Thanks for the info.

After seeing both your pups in camp over the years and both staying close by and not wondering off amazed me. Watching them have freedom around camp is another reason I would like to work with him. Hopefully he can also enjoy not having that 6' lead on all the time so he can enjoy a little freedom from time to time.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
See, this is where I have a problem with this whole system. I get it there’s dirtbags out there that’ll just turn around and try and sell it for a profit but that’s the minority of the time not the norm....
Not a fan of this style system either. It's all up to the county dog warden. I'm just hoping it's a fair shake at him. We were also told today by the worker we have dealt with that she found out from the warden there are others looking at him as well. Funny thing is, the worker looked for us yesterday and said there was no other applications in his folder. She put in a good word for us so I'm hoping it helps.

Visited with him Friday and again today for a short time. We are going back tomorrow for their open house and hopefully get a chance to talk with the dog warden for a few minutes. Hopefully we can voice our case to her. Can't hurt anyway.

Lundy

When our golden retriever got to be 6 months old I thought he was going deaf because he damn sure acted like he didn't hear me most of the time. We live on 6 acres with plenty of room to roam when we were out but he needed to learn the boundaries especially the pretty heavily traveled road 70 yds to the front of our house. I finally purchased a Garmin collar in hopes of protecting him from himself. The first thing I did was put it around my leg and turn it to it's highest setting to see what it felt like. I then used it with him very lightly( his hearing came back immediately, it was a miracle) for about 3-4 months and it worked very well for him. So much so that for the next 6 months after I would have my grandaughters put his collar on when they would take him for a walk around the property but not even turn on the collar or take the controller with them. He was very attentive when he had his collar on as a young dog. He never had a collar on for the last 8 years of his life and was an extremely obedient dog that knew all of his boundaries on the property and never violated them even once no matter what was distracting him. There was a days old fawn 20 feet from our property line that he really wanted to go check out but he stopped like there was a border wall payed for by Mexico in his way. We had to have him put down this past October, still really hurts.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not a fan of this style system either. It's all up to the county dog warden. I'm just hoping it's a fair shake at him. We were also told today by the worker we have dealt with that she found out from the warden there are others looking at him as well. Funny thing is, the worker looked for us yesterday and said there was no other applications in his folder. She put in a good word for us so I'm hoping it helps.

Visited with him Friday and again today for a short time. We are going back tomorrow for their open house and hopefully get a chance to talk with the dog warden for a few minutes. Hopefully we can voice our case to her. Can't hurt anyway.

Bring a collar and a leash and just leave with him, show em you mean business 😂😂😂

Reactions: RedCloud

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
When our golden retriever got to be 6 months old I thought he was going deaf because he damn sure acted like he didn't hear me most of the time. We live on 6 acres with plenty of room to roam when we were out but he needed to learn the boundaries especially the pretty heavily traveled road 70 yds to the front of our house. I finally purchased a Garmin collar in hopes of protecting him from himself. The first thing I did was put it around my leg and turn it to it's highest setting to see what it felt like. I then used it with him very lightly( his hearing came back immediately, it was a miracle) for about 3-4 months and it worked very well for him. So much so that for the next 6 months after I would have my grandaughters put his collar on when they would take him for a walk around the property but not even turn on the collar or take the controller with them. He was very attentive when he had his collar on as a young dog. He never had a collar on for the last 8 years of his life and was an extremely obedient dog that knew all of his boundaries on the property and never violated them even once no matter what was distracting him. There was a days old fawn 20 feet from our property line that he really wanted to go check out but he stopped like there was a border wall payed for by Mexico in his way. We had to have him put down this past October, still really hurts.
Sucks to hear you lost your buddy Lundy. Not easy when they leave us. That's half the reason I haven't replaced our old dog. The other half is not knowing if I could find one that was as good as she was. I believe this guy we are wanting could fill that spot very well. Wouldn't and won't ever be the same but as close as it's going to get.

I'm hoping I can accomplish what you did and only need to use it for the initial trials as a last resort worst case type thing. I'm hoping his obedience training along with praise and treats will be enough but wanted a backup plan. Thanks for the input buddy.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Lol good luck Adam. Fingers crossed
It's looking a little better. Visited 3 days in a row. Tonight was their Christmas open house. Finally had a few minutes with the dog warden. I'm really hopeful that she feels comfortable enough with us that we will get the nod. The warden will be out of the office the next 2 days doing some training so I don't know when we will hear anything. Could be her assistant calling us tomorrow or not until she gets back into the office on Wednesday.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I can finally say officially that we now have Jackson. He was welcomed into the family and home yesterday afternoon. He seemed to settle in fairly well and continues to do so today. He is still learning all the new smells and sounds and seems to like his human's equally so far. Just wants to be loved on and really enjoyed playing with all the new toys and with my son.
I'm happy to say that he has learned his basic commands and does them well. We will continue to work with him on these skills so he doesn't forget them and go back to where he was a month ago. As soon as the weather breaks this spring I will add in some new training. I have no doubt he will learn them quickly.

I'll try to keep this updated this spring so you can see what we are working on and I can ask advice or bounce ideas off you guys that have done this before.

Last edited: