Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dozer time...

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I was talking with my dad last night and he is thinking about doing a few days worth of dozer work at the farm. It will make it easier to do food plots (better access for everything, but I look at the bright side) and I'm paying for a half-days work while the dozer is there. Just looking over the maps and it looks like I'll be able to put in close to an acre's worth of seed on 4 micro-plots. I'm going to do plant two this spring for summer forage, then do the other two in the fall.

The only negative will be that dad will do some brush-hogging in the bottoms. It eliminates a lot of cover, but it will stimulate new growth. I'm pretty excited about him changing gears out there and wanting to develop it. I always enjoyed food plotting, so next spring should be a blast!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Running heavy equipment is fun!!

I tell you what, if something ever happened to my business, I think I would be content running heavy equipment. My tractor, skid loaders, and backhoe are fun. Running dozers, pans, pay loaders, and such would be MORE fun!

rrr

Agreed. The only thing that makes it more fun is being one of the only guys on the site (even though I'm 20?!?) who can run one well...and then throw in family friends with the farmer and I put a ton of hours on a brand new JD 325 this summer at one of the big jobs we did :D

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know the chain saw is a deer manager's best friend, but a dozer has to be a close second IMO. Well, a bush-hog and dozer are probably tied for second. :)

We've got some spots at the farm in Dellroy that were cleared years ago, where we've since allowed secondary growth to take over, that are absolutely thick with deer throughout the season. Think outside the box with that dozer while you have it available... plots are great, but if you can create some more future bedding area that's all the better.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can't wait for winter to get here. Besides the snow plowing, this is going to be the time we pull out the heavy artillery at my buddy's new property. He is talking pans, dozers, and maybe even one of his cranes to set some huge concrete pillars to build a bridge to cross the creek. I think the last one is nutzo, but maybe this is just a big idea that will fizzle out. Re-building the pond is what I think will benefit more than a bridge. I am all for it. My backhoe will be useless there. Next to a dozer, pan, and giant excavator, my backhoe just looks like a golf cart to run around the property. If we get to these stages of the work being done on the property, I will post some pics. Just for reference, this is the same property I posted pics of the JD tractor he used for food plots. The man has some toys.

rrr

Hicks - my food plots are planted with an 8410T and 8320 :D Oh...wait...that's the fields in front of the woods that I hunt! That is nutso, but it would be nice to have that bridge I bet. You will have to take some pics for me and I'd love to see some of your fleet ala Lawnsite, that stuff gets me pumped!

Did someone say crane?

rrr

Hehehe just saw this:

and lets not forget the trophy hunters best freind,the chainsaw.

JBrown do you need to cite where you got that ;) Hint: starts with a C and ends in OONIE!
I know the chain saw is a deer manager's best friend, but a dozer has to be a close second IMO. Well, a bush-hog and dozer are probably tied for second

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have the same username on lawnsite, but really don't get on there much Steve. Same thing about plowsite. Just too many crybabies and idiots. I do more scrolling through than posting. Rarely get on lawnsite unless looking for specific information and do a search. Plowsite has had a terrible habit of deleting any post made about US Maintenance. I find this wrong and don't frequent often because of this. If a company is screwing every contractor it works with, then let the people know so they don't get screwed too. I believe USM has some connections with the site or are paying off the owner of the site. Maybe crazy conspiracy theory ideas.

If you want to check out some of our equipment, then you can go to our website. www.hickslawnservicesllc.com

Haven't updated it in a few years. Really need to do so.

I will post pics when we pull out the heavy equipment this winter. I will post on the private side most likely. Not my property and it looks like we will be dealing with enough trespassers without alerting them we are putting in acres of food plots and such.

rrr

Understand - I normally just lurk through and look at the pictures.

Nice website! It doesn't look too shabby for being out of date. I have some serious equipment/toy jealous going on. One of my best things about my job is being able to run all of the equipment (skid steers, tractors, fork lifts, gradealls) and being one of the trusted, most experienced guys doing it. I pride myself on that and of course its fun as crap. I looked through your gallery - that block O patio is really nice!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Two of the trucks (maybe more) are not even here anymore. We try to upgrade a certain dollar percentage every year. We have since added a second skid loader, backhoe, and several other items. One of the four wheelers w/plow is gone, but replaced with a similar green atv which is just a little newer. We have also done a few real nice retaining walls and such which I need to add on the site. They would really spruce it up!

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Dozer should be there this week. I was hoping he would wait until spring, so I am holding off on my work as I don't want to dick up my good stands where I want to expand this plot. Despite my concerns over doing dozer work mid-season, I'm not too upset given he is looking to buy 19 acres off Bruner to buffer our farm. This is a great 19 acres for hunting and I'd be in hog heaven if it happens. If we keep this farm and it becomes my father's legacy, the big deer that will die from it over the years will be worth all the frustration that goes with his farming hobby!!!

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Dozer should be there this week. I was hoping he would wait until spring, so I am holding off on my work as I don't want to dick up my good stands where I want to expand this plot. Despite my concerns over doing dozer work mid-season, I'm not too upset given he is looking to buy 19 acres off Bruner to buffer our farm. This is a great 19 acres for hunting and I'd be in hog heaven if it happens. If we keep this farm and it becomes my father's legacy, the big deer that will die from it over the years will be worth all the frustration that goes with his farming hobby!!!

Dude!! From your Dad selling the farm to this?? Don't bump into too much stuff around the house with your boner!! I am happy for you!!!!

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Dude!! From your Dad selling the farm to this?? Don't bump into too much stuff around the house with your boner!! I am happy for you!!!!

I tend to have a selfish outlook on things, so I am trying to remain supportive with this. Adding the acerage would be an outstanding buffer to the farm and it gives us some great ground to roam! I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope it goes down. That would give us 90+ acres and like I said, if this becomes my dad's legacy, I can deal with the hobby farming! Having this farm around for my kids kids would be the gift of a lifetime...

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Jesse that would be awesome. 90+ acres added on to the acreage already there. SWEET!....

Plus, You could go get you one them there farmer tans, ridin on your big green tractor....

Tucky, that reminds me of that movie road trip, where the old man stand up and his hard on is knockin stuff off the table, and the old lady yells at him..."Harold, your boner!!"