Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

dry fire problems

swamp_donkey819

ok so mybuddy got a new bow today. its a jennings buckmaster split limb. the string needs replaced soon. when he drew back his release opened and dry-fired the bow. everything looks normal, nothing went flying. he shot the bow after that with an arrow and it shot fine and we heard no creaking noises or anything still draws smooth and quiet, should he still worry or will it be alright ?......sorry for the long description

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Take a cotton ball and rub it along the limbs front and back. If something catches the cotton, it could be a crack. I'd still take it to the shop and have them check it over. The limb pockets on those bows can be brittle, so I'd get a professional to go over it before I got TOO carried away...

In reality, you should never draw a bow without an arrow in it and draw it towards a target. That prevents dry fires and holes in garage doors or cabinets doors! LOL!!!

swamp_donkey819

yea lol dont think holes in the garage door would be good at all. and thanks for the info he was real shocked when his release gave out and it dry fired. ill let him know to try the cotton ball idea, neither one of us have a good enough magnifying glass that would work. his main concern was with it bein the split limb design

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's a good idea to get the bow on a press and check the cam/idle wheel and axles for any sign of damage. Hence my suggestion to go to a shop and have it looked at. A dry fired bow is not something that should be taken lightly. You just never know what could happen as a result of a missed piece of damage. Peace of mind is way better than taking a broken limb to the noggin!!!

swamp_donkey819

yea def. he already said he dont plan on shooting it till he gets it to the shop, ive read some forums saying the string can snap and lash open arms, or the limbs can smack you with extreme force. once agin thanks for the help

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Went to a bow shoot years ago a d saw the aftermath of a.cable letting loose on a Guy that was a couple of stations ahead of us.... get of too a shop... is the best advice you could get.... not pretty plus a trip too the emergency room is a lot more expensive then a string and set of cables.....

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Not much more to add here, I've only ever done it once on accident and it went to the shop the next day, just not worth it. I was happy that I had the peace of mind that it was gonna take a shit on me in my stand or in my face!!!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Yep.. Always put an arrow on the bow...

lmao

swamp_donkey819

yea i learned my lesson also on dry firing i did it once and was to scared to shoot the bow afterwards, ended up gettin rid of it told the guy it needed new limbs. but hes gettin everything checked out soon as he can get to a shop

swamp_donkey819

anyone know why my peep sight wont sit in place. we put it in drew back adjusted it and slid the tie-in knots in place as tight as they can go then after i fire and put a nnew arrow on and draw back have to adjust it again?

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Sounds to me like the tie in knots aren't holding it in place when the shot goes off. The one I had before the one I have now was the same way. I had to make it a part of my routine to tweak it before I drew back or I couldn't see. I would take it out and start all over, that is just one other thing to worry about when the big boy comes in, and you don't want to be dealing with that!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Yep.. Always put an arrow on the bow...

lmao

LOL... That's hilarious, Joe! Last summer, while "getting to know" my new Stan release, I sent one through my garage wall, then into the downstairs bathroom, right across the top of the toilet... Boy was I glad my wife wasn't on the pot at the time! She was pissed nonetheless! lmao

anyone know why my peep sight wont sit in place. we put it in drew back adjusted it and slid the tie-in knots in place as tight as they can go then after i fire and put a nnew arrow on and draw back have to adjust it again?

Either the knots aren't holding it in place, or the string needs a bit of a twist put into it. Just because you adjusted it when it was drawn back doesn't mean that's the spot where the string is "settled in." Is this a new string or a string that's already been stretched? The location of the peep on your string needs to stay the same in order for you to maintain a consistent anchor point... so don't slide it up and down the string to adjust peep rotation. It needs to be put in a press and the string twisted to get it to come around where you want it. This is all assuming the string has been broken in. If it's a new string, it may stretch a bit and throw off your peep alignment over time. Also, when you get the peep where you want it, re-serve it in good and tight... with one piece of serving string... Wraps above the peep, then down through and around the peep itself, then wraps below the peep. It won't go anywhere if you do that.

swamp_donkey819

i got it to stay, i called woodburry outfitters and they told me to adjust my release loop and that worked, but since its the original string im just gonna get a new string and have them set the peep in. i had to actually stop shooting cause the bow was making a loud snapp noise when i shot, so didnt wanna risk shooting and having the string snap and lose my peep sight and slice my arm open so hopefully a new string will solve that

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
i got it to stay, i called woodburry outfitters and they told me to adjust my release loop and that worked, but since its the original string im just gonna get a new string and have them set the peep in. i had to actually stop shooting cause the bow was making a loud snapp noise when i shot, so didnt wanna risk shooting and having the string snap and lose my peep sight and slice my arm open so hopefully a new string will solve that

Sounds good man... glad to hear you got it straightened out. Make sure you put a hundred or so shots through the bow before having the peep set up permanently. New strings take some time to stretch and settle in, so you want your peep adjusted AFTER this has taken place.

swamp_donkey819

ok thanks for the tip, i should get a new string, it has the original one from 2003 but its not torn or loose threads or anything just dirty, so debating on just throwing a new string on it

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
ok thanks for the tip, i should get a new string, it has the original one from 2003 but its not torn or loose threads or anything just dirty, so debating on just throwing a new string on it

If you do go the route of a new string, check out Extreme Bowstrings. I've ordered several strings from them and all have been very well made. I use the BCY 452x, which is usually done with stretching after 50-100 shots. Extreme does a great job and does it in a timely manner.

A little string wax is always helpful on an older string TOO...