Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Duck abuse?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Who is to say the duck was not found by a legit rabbit hunter? Very well could have been shot.....flew off, died in flight elsewhere and person who found it did not have a duck tag?
As far as your trash goes.....Why don't YOU organise and execute the trash cleanup? Ask around for a dumpster "donation". Obtain volunteers to help pick it up. Get local paper to pay recognition to the effort of ALL involved. Post signs warning violators....May even add there is a watch group for future dumpers.......
Or you could bitch about it and wait for it to fix itself?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It just gets a little old and frustrating when you email the DNR director about the trash and abuse and he promises to get back to you and never does...and when you call and email local mayors to try to get a group together to do a trash pickup at the wildlife area and never get a reply...and post requests for this on local community websites and get no reply...and see trash dumped in the woods by Amish kids on a regular basis and nothing changes...and pull up into the parking lots to find a dead deer rotting away almost every time...and walk around the park finding trash every twenty steps...and on and on and on...so my sense of humor, which is normally very intact...has worn out long ago. The last time I saw a pile of beer cans and bottles, I went home and got two large trash bags, filled them up to the brim, and dropped them off at the nearest Amish driveway entrance with a nice little note on it for them. Next time, I won't be so kind to leave it in the bags. There is no such thing as community where I live...everyone is just in it for themselves. Fuck that.

I think we get the picture, you're upset about it, still doesn't give you the right too come here and name call because of being upset.... You're explanation filled everyone in on your position but haven't heard an apology for being salty and calling folks Hicks and rednecks....

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Always said i was a flat land hillbilly and my trucks 16 years old so i guess that makes me a hick. I'm cool with it lmao!!!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Always said i was a flat land hillbilly and my trucks 16 years old so i guess that makes me a hick. I'm cool with it lmao!!!

I'm right with you driving a 13 yr old 350Z sports car, but it does only have 23K miles. I rather be known as a 'good old country boy' being a northern Ohio guy.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks guys. Some of you stood up for me, the rest of you poked fun at me. Thank you! Thank you for making me part of your family. This is why I love this place.

Wingman- There has been some solid advice. Nobody is trying to run you off. There are many here who would willingly help your cause. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Other times the squeaky wheel gets shot, we take pictures of it/post on TOO, laugh, and throw it away. I personally appreciate different perspective from those who have lived in multiple states. It can broaden our perspective and bring knowledge. It all has to do with the delivery, the tact, and the intent. In your case, you didn't approach with questions on how to make things better. You came with minimal knowledge about your complaints. You pointed fingers at members here and Amish people in the area. You made assumptions about many. I don't see this as tactful. The intent was not to make a difference or change things. Your intent was simply to bitch about it.

Jamie

Ohio
thank you, Dr. Phil, for that brilliant analysis. rotflmao

I hunt Kokosing Wildlife area some. I've seen the rotting remanants of deer at every parking lot, the litter everywhere, and the Amish. I see this same horseshit at every public hunting area I visit, too, except for the Amish, that is. it's a real problem, and our fellow sportsmen are largely to blame for it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
thank you, Dr. Phil, for that brilliant analysis. rotflmao

I hunt Kokosing Wildlife area some. I've seen the rotting remanants of deer at every parking lot, the litter everywhere, and the Amish. I see this same horseshit at every public hunting area I visit, too, except for the Amish, that is. it's a real problem, and our fellow sportsmen are largely to blame for it.

I prefer the title: "Captain Obvious." Just saying. . . Yes, it sucks to see this stuff. Want to change it? Give me a suggestion. I like to have a plan. Don't take me wrong though, I have been plenty guilty of bellyaching before. Just human nature.

Jamie

Ohio
it's like my Grandma always used to say; "People are fucking stupid". suggestion #1) since it's practically impossible to fix stupid, perhaps a trash receptacle chained to a tree in these parking areas would at least encourage lazy, stupid fucktards to put litter in its place.

a couple of weeks ago I was cleaning a limit of squirrels after an afternoon hunt at a public hunting area, parked at the end of a 1/2 mile long dead end access road. as I'm working on squirrel number 3, I see a green ODNR truck coming down the lane. Oh great, Johnny law coming to see what I'm doing, I thought to myself. since I'm not doing anything wrong, this is not a problem, other than I might have to waste my time producing my hunting license and making small talk instead of skinning my rats. turned out to be a young girl in her early 20's wearing a state uniform, probably an intern for the parks dept. or div. of wildlife. she parked right behind me and got out, very politely said hello and commented on my squirrel skinning routine. I could see she had a couple of full large garbage bags in the bed of the truck, and she starts picking up trash. I commented on how much there was and how disappointing it is to see so much litter every where. I'm not joking here, she picked up about 10 pieces of trash within 30 feet or less of her truck, got in the truck, told me to have a good day and drove off. now, from where I was standing I could see enough paper trash, aluminum cans, plastic bottles, and other stuff to fill a large garbage bag. WTF? she could have picked most all of it up in 15 minutes. suggestion #2) see to it that the people getting paid to clean up after the lazy littering fucktards actually do their jobs. I have more suggestions if you'd like to hear them.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Right on J and Phil!!!

Another suggestion regarding the trash is contact your local Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts and or 4-H Cubs for a organized "Clean Up Day". When I was in Boy Scouts ( many, many years ago ) we did things like this to earn merit badges. Just a thought.

Suggestion #2......take some time to look / read threads of interest, get a feel for all the outstanding members of TOO. This is not your typical outdoors page, this is a family and their is a bond with each and every member of TOO.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've always thought the fine for littering was stupid. Instead offenders should receive the equivalent hours in community service at minimum wage picking up trash. $500 / $8.10 = 61 hours.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
it's like my Grandma always used to say; "People are fucking stupid". suggestion #1) since it's practically impossible to fix stupid, perhaps a trash receptacle chained to a tree in these parking areas would at least encourage lazy, stupid fucktards to put litter in its place.

a couple of weeks ago I was cleaning a limit of squirrels after an afternoon hunt at a public hunting area, parked at the end of a 1/2 mile long dead end access road. as I'm working on squirrel number 3, I see a green ODNR truck coming down the lane. Oh great, Johnny law coming to see what I'm doing, I thought to myself. since I'm not doing anything wrong, this is not a problem, other than I might have to waste my time producing my hunting license and making small talk instead of skinning my rats. turned out to be a young girl in her early 20's wearing a state uniform, probably an intern for the parks dept. or div. of wildlife. she parked right behind me and got out, very politely said hello and commented on my squirrel skinning routine. I could see she had a couple of full large garbage bags in the bed of the truck, and she starts picking up trash. I commented on how much there was and how disappointing it is to see so much litter every where. I'm not joking here, she picked up about 10 pieces of trash within 30 feet or less of her truck, got in the truck, told me to have a good day and drove off. now, from where I was standing I could see enough paper trash, aluminum cans, plastic bottles, and other stuff to fill a large garbage bag. WTF? she could have picked most all of it up in 15 minutes. suggestion #2) see to it that the people getting paid to clean up after the lazy littering fucktards actually do their jobs. I have more suggestions if you'd like to hear them.

Quit being humble Jamie. She just wanted an up close look at a living legend and Hoot must not have been around to check out. You were the next best thing. lmao

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio

I'm no genius, but sounds like she just may have been checking you out. Maybe making sure you were not doing something against the rules. Such as drinking ect ect. Or she may have had other motives besides trash.

Jamie

Ohio
now that's funny. :) none of those scenarios occurred to me either before or after I saw the already full garbage bags in her truck. I figured it must have been quitting time or something. she was rather cute, and I could she was shaped nicely through that drab, ill-fitted uniform. you guys might be on to something. if she was looking for Hoot and found me instead, it's no wonder she didn't stick around. LOL...