Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Duck Boat

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
How many do you plan on hunting?
I told myself I wouldn't buy anything smaller than an 18' and ended up with a 16'. Going to be tight at times with 2 people, dog, gear, and dekes. I figured if all else I could buy a new hull cheap since I have the motor and gadgets I wanted on mine.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
3 max. Won't take the dog. I don't plan to keep this more than a couple seasons either. If I get the job I've been promised, I'll build a boat in the next 2-3 years.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
Motor is 90% of the boat price,,look it over good and take it for a test ride,,there are a lot of engines ate up by ethanol floating around now

Diablo54

Outside
Jesse my dad has an aluminum 18" boat for sale. 40 horse mercury. 55lb trolling motor. It is a flat bottom I believe. He was asking 2500 and it is a nice boat. I just do not know what all would need done for duck hunting

Diablo54

Outside
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409943842.884720.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409943863.360471.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not sure if I could make that work or not. Don't know much about boats honestly. The floor configuration is not condusive to duck hunting I do not that. By the time I redo that, add a blind and paint it, I'd be ahead to get the other boat. Thanks for posting though. Its a nice boat and I'd love to have both motors!

Derek j

Knox Co.
I have an 18' Lowe sea nymph that I built into a "hybrid" for fishing and duck hunting. When I build mine, it will be an open floor with seat bases welded into the floor. I can hunt 3 people fairly comfortably if i were to remove the platforms.
uploadfromtaptalk1409950288800.jpg

Diablo54

Outside
Not sure if I could make that work or not. Don't know much about boats honestly. The floor configuration is not condusive to duck hunting I do not that. By the time I redo that, add a blind and paint it, I'd be ahead to get the other boat. Thanks for posting though. Its a nice boat and I'd love to have both motors!

I have a motor for you. 50 horse merc

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Diablo that would make a nice duck boat after doing some cutting! It'd be a shame to cut that flooring up being that its so nice. I don't think he'd have any trouble getting $2500 for it, I could see him getting $4500-5k honestly!

That's a mod-v btw

Diablo54

Outside
Diablo that would make a nice duck boat after doing some cutting! It'd be a shame to cut that flooring up being that its so nice. I don't think he'd have any trouble getting $2500 for it, I could see him getting $4500-5k honestly!

That's a mod-v btw

He paid like 1,500 for the boat I believe. Him and my uncle did a lot of part hunting to get the motor going right. Has ran like a champ since then. Very reliable. He put in new carpet and new seats. He didn't think there was enough storage space so we hacked out some of the deck on the front and back and made more they turned out as great storage spots. It has been a great boat he just doesnt use it much and my uncle has a nicer boat that we take on our trips.

Diablo54

Outside
He tried to sell it this spring. Had a guy call and come look at it right away. The plans fell through after Ignored phone calls for a few weeks and then he didn't list it again.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Ugh, would love to have it but emergency purchases has my fun money fund in shambles.

New van
Fridge
Range
Etc...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm not real thrilled about the idea of yet another season without a boat, but it is the right decision for the long run. Me and my two hunting partners are going to build our own boat next year. There is a local marina that deals in bare, heavy duty aluminum boats (can't remember the brand off the top of my head). I spoke to them last fall about getting one and for $3,500 I can roll off the lot with a new 18' boat and new trailer. I'm buying the boat, my one buddy is buying the motor and the other will pay for the blind/floor/storage/paint job. I'll buy them out in 12-24 months. The plan is to be done with it by the early goose opener next year so that we can go after all the resident geese!!!