Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dust suppression for a gravel driveway

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Have any of you guys tried anything to lessen the dust on a gravel drive? I have heard Calcium Chloride works pretty well. I think I am going to have a load of washed stone put down now that I have a good base.

If they don't slow down it will end up costing you thousands over the years.
Our next door neighbor has a long long gravel driveway and they fly in and out. Man it gets beat up every year with big stones getting tossed out to the side, let alone the dust. I used to cut up to their driveway to help them out but no more, too many rocks beating my..... mower blades up LOL!

Last edited:

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Sounds like you have a 304 base? Or some really dirty stone if your getting that much dust.My wife thinks our drives a race track but have no issues with dust. Definitely want washed or crushed 57s if you have a good base. I wouldn't put any calcium on it, it will control the dust but could cause you a big mess with your drive staring to pump and get soft if it gets below the base

Reactions: tracker 6

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Yea my crusher run base is really solid and now that there shouldn’t be many heavy trucks I will probably just top it with a load of washed stone. Truth be told they don’t drive that fast, I get dust going 10 mph or slower

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
C1B525B9-65E1-4EB2-A60A-011F2B2185C8.jpeg

@giles