Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Early Goose

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Been out scouting and getting permission . Haven't tried too hard to get new spots yet .. Mostly been just getting permission at spots that normally produce each yr . I imagine they'll start chopping sileage before the season.

Wmiller07

Been out scouting and getting permission . Haven't tried too hard to get new spots yet .. Mostly been just getting permission at spots that normally produce each yr . I imagine they'll start chopping sileage before the season.

That's why I haven't asked permission yet. I keep seeing them in the wheat fields and I'm afraid they will move.

IW207Bowhunter

Went out before sun up drove around all my normal spots only seen 2 birds total. It was foggy this morning so I figured they stay on the lake for awhile. Drove around till 10 didn't see any flocks at all even in my regular spots. Went to the lake and they were at there still

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Went out before sun up drove around all my normal spots only seen 2 birds total. It was foggy this morning so I figured they stay on the lake for awhile. Drove around till 10 didn't see any flocks at all even in my regular spots. Went to the lake and they were at there still

Now that is commitment right there! Good luck. If they are where I can hunt em I will, if not I will rely on my buddies. I enjoy early goose but don't get to excited about it because most of my early hunts are one and done at each spot.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
That's most early season spots from what I've seen . Pretty uncommon to shoot em twice in the same field early season.
Had a open house for my sons School tonight. On the way home about 730 I made a little loop and checked a couple spots sorta tween the school and house and there were a huntable number in 2 spots I have permission. Now if they are there in 2 weeks I'll be suprised. But a fella can hope.

I'll be driving around Sat and Sunday morning scouting , as well as next weekend. Hopefully have some good spots lined up for the 3rd and the week to follow

Last edited:

AMiller

I have been wanting to use a drone to scout for a long time now. Save on gas, see what the birds see, follow the geese. But now I'm thinking why stop there. Let's mount a shotgun to the drone and when the geese fly over a field I have permission on. Shoot um with the drone. Now that sounds like fun. Not sure if waterfowl laws are that up to date yet to say that's unlawful. Could you imagine 2-3 drones chasing a flock of geese while shooting at them. Lol

Last edited:

IW207Bowhunter

Day number 2 got to another spot before sun up. Watched the birds leave the roost got permission on a new field seen alot of geese better than yesterday

IW207Bowhunter

I saw less today... I'm wondering if they are moving from the wheat fields
I seen probably 3-400 in the wheat fields few hundred on the lakes at their roost and 38 in a soybeans that still have the wheat stubles farmer say the beans got planted late they are very short unlike all the other fields

IW207Bowhunter

Day number 3 birds didn't roost on the lakes where they did before. Got another new property today. Both my new properties are holding over 100 birds. Nope they stick around for another 2weeks

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Seen alot of birds today . Got permission at a spot holding a bunch . It's a wheat field that's been turned up. The landowner said he's gonna seed it with alfalfa . It's adjacent to another hunting pond that really loads up . We'll see if they are there in in sept tho ? Be looking in a different area tomorrow . Sure seems like alot of geese this yr . Got a handful of spots with good numbers in them now .And my buddies I hunt with have some good spots too ...but tough saying where they'll be in a couple weeks .

Wmiller07

Seen alot of birds today . Got permission at a spot holding a bunch . It's a wheat field that's been turned up. The landowner said he's gonna seed it with alfalfa . It's adjacent to another hunting pond that really loads up . We'll see if they are there in in sept tho ? Be looking in a different area tomorrow . Sure seems like alot of geese this yr . Got a handful of spots with good numbers in them now .And my buddies I hunt with have some good spots too ...but tough saying where they'll be in a couple weeks .

Yah I've got a couple spots I'm looking at but I'm going to wait until next week to get permission in case they move. It does seem like there are a butt load of geese this year.