Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

East Palestine Derailment and Fire

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
If you use all small caps are you whispering lol. Worked with a guy that was from Jersey and heard him talking about the bears and thought he was talking about Vancouver island or something and he said no this is in New Jersey.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Doyle’s A really nice little butcher shop in EP just announced this.
This is positively not what I wanted to do but I really don’t feel like I have any other options at this time. **FYI, Friday March 31st. was a bittersweet day for me, we celebrated our 17th year anniversary here in East Palestine Ohio and none of this would have been possible without our loyal customers. So I want to say this to everyone that has supported our business,THANK YOU! It’s been an amazing and humbling 17 years but it’s been my life long pleasure to serve all of the different communities over the past 50+ years. From my days at Leetonia Golden Dawn to owning Winona Frozen Foods for almost 20 years to where I am now. Having said this, I’m afraid that I have no choice but to strongly consider eventually auctioning or closing here in East Palestine. Due to the devastating train derailment, the people who were supposed to buy our business have decided not to due to the effects it has had on our community and our business. We are still hoping to be able to find a buyer but honestly I’m not sure if that is possible under our current circumstances. ***But we will continue offering our weekly specials and special meat packs and of course the great prices for the cases of Chicken as long as we are here. ***We are not exactly sure when that will be but we are hoping to be here until at least the end of June 2023. I’m not blaming anyone here but I’m truly saddened and devastated by what has happened to our community and not only my business but a lot of businesses in our area due to the derailment. If I wasn’t 68 years old and recently having open heart surgery I wouldn’t even be considering this because I’m very confident that things will eventually return to pre derailment, but I’m ready to spend more time with my family and traveling with my wife as we enjoy our senior years while we can. So once again I want to express my gratitude and love to each one of you.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

Looks like the first vegetable is going to finally make his way to East Palestine to check the progress (a year afterwards)of his administrations efforts to to remedy the situation there. 🙄
Can you tell it’s an election year? 🤬

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Fox News reached out to East Palestine Mayor Trent Conaway to find out when he thought the most helpful time would be, and he told Fox News, in "my personal opinion the best time for him to come would be February of 2025 when he is on his book tour."

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Does this sound like "We didn't find the results our grant sponsors wanted so we're going to look for it again before we lose our funding." ?
Maybe go upwind about 20 miles, look around the Mahoning river around some of those dilapidated steel mill looking buildings? Dig down around 10-15’ and they’ll find their results…… 🙄

Reactions: Tipmoose

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
A friend's wife does taxes in the area and she told us that EP residents found out this week that the money's (often $10-15K) they received from NS for things like temporary housing, replacing contaminated personal items, etc. are taxable. Many had already filed tax returns believing they weren't taxable and just received 1099s and now have to file amended returns and probably pay additional taxes instead of getting refunds.