Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

EHD

LonewolfNopack

The woods
The deer population will be fine. Go hunt and enjoy it. It’s just one year.
Tell that to the guys finding 20 dead deer on their property. Overall yes it will be fine. Locally it can be devastating. Maybe you haven't been blessed to have had a bad outbreak where you hunt but it absolutely isn't fine where it happens, and there's properties that still haven't recovered from past outbreaks. I havent found any deer yet on my hunting property and will be hunting if I ever get time, but definitely feel for those who have.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Tell that to the guys finding 20 dead deer on their property. Overall yes it will be fine. Locally it can be devastating. Maybe you haven't been blessed to have had a bad outbreak where you hunt but it absolutely isn't fine where it happens, and there's properties that still haven't recovered from past outbreaks. I havent found any deer yet on my hunting property and will be hunting if I ever get time, but definitely feel for those who have.
I will tell it to anyone. Does it suck? Sure does. But if you’re finding 20 dead deer on one property, you had too many deer on that property to begin with. Mother Nature does what she does…

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I will tell it to anyone. Does it suck? Sure does. But if you’re finding 20 dead deer on one property, you had too many deer on that property to begin with. Mother Nature does what she does…
I think you understand my sentiment. Mother nature absolutely bats last and gets the last laugh. Its one of the laws of ecology. Doesnt mean we should just ignore it and pretend nothing happened.... and I'll respectfully disagree with you on the rest of your comment. No way you or I or anyone can sit there and say a property is over populated from a computer screen.

As hunters we are also wildlife managers. Im not telling anyone that has a bad EHD outbreak to not still go out and enjoy their hunting season, but its absolutely responsible as a wildlife manager to pay careful consideration to these type of natural events and use them to plan your season harvest goals accordingly.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's a DOW answer if I ever heard one 👏 🤣. I think you understand my sentiment. Mother nature absolutely bats last and gets the last laugh. Its one of the laws of ecology. Doesnt mean we should just ignore it and pretend nothing happened.... and I'll respectfully disagree with you on the rest of your comment. No way you or I or anyone can sit there any say a property is over populated from a computer screen.
Cool. 👍

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I'm down wind of one right now. I can smell him. Wonder if I can find him. Vultures circling. Working outside this has almost became an Easter egg hunt this year.

Attachments

• 20221013_133926.jpg
    20221013_133926.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 68

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I have 2 other farms to hunt on but still sucks to lose that many deer on one.
I agree. I wasn't trying to diminish the anguish of trying to raise deer. I also put my heart and soul into this and know that some day I will experience the same pain. For now my neighbors will continue to provide that hurt.

Reactions: Boarhead

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Did a big search today and found 3 more.
I'm done searching for dead deer just gonna get out and hunt and hopefully get a shot at a good one. If not theirs always next season. Like i said eventually everyone that deer hunts will most likely experience this. Not fun but thats mother nature
Will be on vacation soon so looking forward to that. Sucks the big one I was after is dead was looking forward to playing the chess match with him.
20221013_122945.jpg
20221013_115242.jpg
20221013_110256.jpg

Did a big search today and found 3 more.
I'm done searching for dead deer just gonna get out and hunt and hopefully get a shot at a good one. If not theirs always next season. Like i said eventually everyone that deer hunts will most likely experience this. Not fun but thats mother nature
Will be on vacation soon so looking forward to that. Sucks the big one I was after is dead was looking forward to playing the chess match with him.
View attachment 163694View attachment 163695View attachment 163696
Sure makes me wonder how long ago those died. Days, weeks, longer??

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jackpot! First one I've found in Highland county. Giles, this is close to where you hunt.
Report it on the app. Matt said he’s taken a bunch of calls and it dies when the phone hangs up. They aren’t to report anything unless the test it and find it to be positive for ehd. They have to test within 24 hours of death. Mason got to carve the spleen out of some this summer, but no one is finding them that quickly now.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Report it on the app. Matt said he’s taken a bunch of calls and it dies when the phone hangs up. They aren’t to report anything unless the test it and find it to be positive for ehd. They have to test within 24 hours of death. Mason got to carve the spleen out of some this summer, but no one is finding them that quickly now.
I've reported them all online so far. Is there a different App then what I am doing through DOW website? All the ones I'm finding are too rotten to test. Im about sick of finding them.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don’t know how the app works. Like you I reported on their site. I believe you can do it via the app as well.
They need to be reported so the DOW will have reason to alter bag limits next season. It’s my understanding nothing will be done this year.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I don’t know how the app works. Like you I reported on their site. I believe you can do it via the app as well.
They need to be reported so the DOW will have reason to alter bag limits next season. It’s my understanding nothing will be done this year.
Yep. I reported online as soon as I found it, as I have all of them I've found. Id be shocked if they adjust regulations for this , that would make way too much sense, but that would be great. I may remember they adjusted Jefferson County a couple years ago after EHD.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yep. I reported online as soon as I found it, as I have all of them I've found. Id be shocked if they adjust regulations for this , that would make way too much sense, but that would be great. I may remember they adjusted Jefferson County a couple years ago after EHD.
Exactly right, they did. I would hope the same would hold true in this case but it will take reporting from those that find the dead.

Reactions: LonewolfNopack