Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

F350 for Dannman!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Bust away 5cent. My opinion of all new vehicles is they are junk. Too many cheapened up components on all of them gas or diesel. When it comes to a work truck, the 2500HD I will soon be selling is okay for pulling around some mowers with the 6L gasser. Never got better than 11.8mpg and that was on the highway with only a dirtbike in the back when i was racing. One trip when my Dodge was being serviced and I figured I could do better pulling a trailer behind my Jeep than that gas engine in the 2500HD. I just like the solid front axle in the Fords and Dodges. The ride of the IFS in the Chevy trucks is nice, but it doesn't carry the weight as well even with the Torsian bars cranked up. I don't really buy trucks for performance or HP. I buy them to use as a truck. Not going to knock a guy for wanting a diesel to pull his jet skiis twice a year, but it really is overkill and a want more than a need. I don't think the average person can put on enough miles to offset the increased cost of the diesel option in a truck with fuel mileage. This is especially true when it cost me $3.25/gal for diesel before I put the additive in the tank,and gas is $3.09. For 3-9mpg difference depending on conditions, you would have to put on a ton of miles to justify the cost of the diesel option. Besides this fact, the newer gas engines are good for more than 70-100k miles the older gas engines used to crap out in back in the 70's-80's. I would think most gas engines properly maintained, built in 2000 or newer should be good for 200kmiles minimum.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I agree with Hicks on the diesel thing. If you are pulling regularly pulling heavy trailers in the hills a diesel makes sense. Other wise I think they are hard to justify.

My biggest problem with Fords is they seem to have a bigger turning radius, the newer Fords are better then the older one though.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Bust away 5cent. My opinion of all new vehicles is they are junk. Too many cheapened up components on all of them gas or diesel. When it comes to a work truck, the 2500HD I will soon be selling is okay for pulling around some mowers with the 6L gasser. Never got better than 11.8mpg and that was on the highway with only a dirtbike in the back when i was racing. One trip when my Dodge was being serviced and I figured I could do better pulling a trailer behind my Jeep than that gas engine in the 2500HD. I just like the solid front axle in the Fords and Dodges. The ride of the IFS in the Chevy trucks is nice, but it doesn't carry the weight as well even with the Torsian bars cranked up. I don't really buy trucks for performance or HP. I buy them to use as a truck. Not going to knock a guy for wanting a diesel to pull his jet skiis twice a year, but it really is overkill and a want more than a need. I don't think the average person can put on enough miles to offset the increased cost of the diesel option in a truck with fuel mileage. This is especially true when it cost me $3.25/gal for diesel before I put the additive in the tank,and gas is $3.09. For 3-9mpg difference depending on conditions, you would have to put on a ton of miles to justify the cost of the diesel option. Besides this fact, the newer gas engines are good for more than 70-100k miles the older gas engines used to crap out in back in the 70's-80's. I would think most gas engines properly maintained, built in 2000 or newer should be good for 200kmiles minimum.

Completely agree. I think often of dropping down to a 3/4 ton gasser, but the lack of "decent" gas mileage just doesn't do it for me. I need a 3/4 ton, but can't afford to only get 14mpg empty with the damn wind at my back. When I was driving from Castalia to Findlay, diesel could be up to $0.60 higher for me to justify the cost. Since changing jobs, and fuel going through the roof, it doesn't matter any more.

The cheap parts is my biggest beef with the dodge. I love the Cummins, but the interior is just a poor design and use of materials in my mind. I transfered the headliner assembly to Lear in Fremont and was blown away by the cheapness and lack of quality control on their components and final assembly. Hopefully one of the big 3 will move forward with their 1/2ton with diesel engine combos SOON!