Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Facebook Marketplace.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was afraid to click on the ad. I just saw it on the "garden" section of marketplace listed as a lawnmower pull starter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200507-211249.png
    Screenshot_20200507-211249.png
    597.5 KB · Views: 379

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not FB Marketplace, but in the same vein, the things people will take from the end of the driveway on trash day, or with a 'FREE' sign on it is baffling. It almost always happens at night too. Last night, someone stopped and took a full contractor's bag that had a broken shovel and broken leaf blower sticking out the top. It also had dead mice in the bottom, those came free with the broken tools. Last week, someone took a broken radio, the week before that, our old pots and pans, and a bunch of old flower pots. A couple months ago, I put the old mini fridge out there and it had been shut and unplugged with tarsal glands and forgotten snack sticks and spilt beer. The smell was absolutely atrocious and I'd have loved to have been there when they opened it! All I put on the sign was 'Free. Works. Needs cleaned." 😂

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Not FB Marketplace, but in the same vein, the things people will take from the end of the driveway on trash day, or with a 'FREE' sign on it is baffling. It almost always happens at night too. Last night, someone stopped and took a full contractor's bag that had a broken shovel and broken leaf blower sticking out the top. It also had dead mice in the bottom, those came free with the broken tools. Last week, someone took a broken radio, the week before that, our old pots and pans, and a bunch of old flower pots. A couple months ago, I put the old mini fridge out there and it had been shut and unplugged with tarsal glands and forgotten snack sticks and spilt beer. The smell was absolutely atrocious and I'd have loved to have been there when they opened it! All I put on the sign was 'Free. Works. Needs cleaned." 😂

It's crazy for sure. A couple of weeks ago I put two giant stuffed animals that I won at kings Island out there. It rained in the all-night the next morning they were gone. Who takes a giant sopping wet stuffed animal home to the kids.

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
It's crazy for sure. A couple of weeks ago I put two giant stuffed animals that I won at kings Island out there. It rained in the all-night the next morning they were gone. Who takes a giant sopping wet stuffed animal home to the kids.

A guy told me people skin dem giant teddy bears and go have sex while wearing the thing...
the "Old Joe" would have known about that shit. "Dad Joe's" in da house. lol

Some stuff I could see grabbing to throw in a garage sale if there is any value but at the same time you have to laugh when they take something you had your reasons to throw out rather than sell. Years ago we got a couch from my sister that we stored and had planned to use when we threw out our old couch. Well she had cats and we had cats that must not have liked their smell. It quickly turned into a urine litter box that stunk to high hell, cushions were soaked. It lasted about an hour before people were loading it up in the back of their SUV. Last week I put a kids plastic playhouse out to the road that was sun bleached and worn out. Well as I got it to the road I found three wall sections had wasp/hornet nests inside. I left it out at the road while they calmed down and went to the house to find some wasp spray as I didn't want the trash guys finding out the hard way. It was literally gone in 20 minutes! Didn't even see the people who picked it up!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wife put two of those $20 plastic lawn chairs out last week. One decent. One cracked badly. Gone in under an hour.

I have a good one. FB marketplace. It's a long story. I'll attempt. . . Whatever. . . Here goes.

My buddy asks if I want a bike for the scrap pile. Sure. Drops off. It is pretty nice. First guy wants to trade. 2hp air compressor 20 gallon tank. Speedaire brand. Umm. . . Ok. This morning he backs out. Decided to trade for something else. Second person on list says "let's meet at 4pm." Ok. At 345 I message to confirm. She backs out. I message 3rd person. He drives an hour plus from Ft Wayne to realize he didn't read the ad well. Yes "it needs tubes. Possibly tires." Was in the ad. So I feel bad for him. He offers $60 versus the $75 listed price. Sure. Load it up and off he goes. Midday the air compressor dude received a message from me "if mower guy backs out,let me know. I'll pay you $60 for it." Guess who messaged me while the Ft Wayne people we're loading up? So I meet dude at WM. Bring a generator. Plug it in. Compressor starts building pressure. Blows a seal around compressor. Covers me and my truck in oil. Dude is like "Aww man bro. I'm sorry. I dint try ta screw u bro. Just take it. I can't fix it. Maybe it's an easy fix bro." I felt bad for him. Said he had time and gas involved. He is out a compressor. Handed him $20. Told him I'll take a $20 chance on it. Might be $5 fix, $50, or $100. Who knows. So will bring it home. Tell my buddy the story on the way. Him and his boy stop over to laugh. We year into it. Drained water from tank AND compressor motor. Fill. Start it. No seal blown out. Quieted down. Built pressure. Still needs a switch of some sort. I'll figure it out. Currently out quart and half of oil, an o-ring, and an hour or so of my time. 🤣🤣🤣

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Wife put two of those $20 plastic lawn chairs out last week. One decent. One cracked badly. Gone in under an hour.

I have a good one. FB marketplace. It's a long story. I'll attempt. . . Whatever. . . Here goes.

My buddy asks if I want a bike for the scrap pile. Sure. Drops off. It is pretty nice. First guy wants to trade. 2hp air compressor 20 gallon tank. Speedaire brand. Umm. . . Ok. This morning he backs out. Decided to trade for something else. Second person on list says "let's meet at 4pm." Ok. At 345 I message to confirm. She backs out. I message 3rd person. He drives an hour plus from Ft Wayne to realize he didn't read the ad well. Yes "it needs tubes. Possibly tires." Was in the ad. So I feel bad for him. He offers $60 versus the $75 listed price. Sure. Load it up and off he goes. Midday the air compressor dude received a message from me "if mower guy backs out,let me know. I'll pay you $60 for it." Guess who messaged me while the Ft Wayne people we're loading up? So I meet dude at WM. Bring a generator. Plug it in. Compressor starts building pressure. Blows a seal around compressor. Covers me and my truck in oil. Dude is like "Aww man bro. I'm sorry. I dint try ta screw u bro. Just take it. I can't fix it. Maybe it's an easy fix bro." I felt bad for him. Said he had time and gas involved. He is out a compressor. Handed him $20. Told him I'll take a $20 chance on it. Might be $5 fix, $50, or $100. Who knows. So will bring it home. Tell my buddy the story on the way. Him and his boy stop over to laugh. We year into it. Drained water from tank AND compressor motor. Fill. Start it. No seal blown out. Quieted down. Built pressure. Still needs a switch of some sort. I'll figure it out. Currently out quart and half of oil, an o-ring, and an hour or so of my time. 🤣🤣🤣

Wait so your buddy gives you a bike for the scrap pile and you put it on FB marketplace and made 60 bucks on it from a guy who drove in from a different state? 😅😅

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wait so your buddy gives you a bike for the scrap pile and you put it on FB marketplace and made 60 bucks on it from a guy who drove in from a different state? 😅😅

Basically yes. Prior to marketing I told him my plan. He laughed. Said "good luck. I'm not messing with it. It is out of my garage. That's all I want." He enjoyed what we have dubbed The Adventures of FB Marketplace." He even came over and helped me repair the air compressor. At which point I handed him $40 and said he could obviously use the air compressor whenever he wanted to. He laughed and said he would be using the big air compressor (the 240v one in the shop) soon to fix his ride. Lol. I didn't just screw over my buddy.