Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Falling through the ice...

Ofcourse, NO BODY wants to fall through the ice, but it's a possability that goes with ice fishing. I recently purchased 2 sets of Polar Ice Picks, from Sportsman's Guide for $5.97 each and consider them "cheap insurance", should I fall through the ice. I hope I never have to use them, but it's like CCWs... I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. :smiley_bril:

Testing the ice as you go, is a preventative and something that I always do. Even so, I like being prepared for the worst case scenario.

This video is a guy in a thermal wetsuit, testing the ice and using the Ice Picks that I mentioned. He doesn't use them much, but he shows the "kick and claw" technique for getting out of the ice.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEhiUZ8IRKo

This video is a guy that's a Dr. of hypothermia and its' effects on the human body. He tells of the 2 to 5 minutes that a person has to get out of the water, as well as other things that happen while a person's in the icey waters.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysnKtuUTt8k

Not exactly "soothing" videos, but forewarned is forearmed. :smiley_coolpeace:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never fallen through the ice... yet... but I figure that the hardest part is going to be calming down. I think if you can gather your composure soon enough after falling in, climbing out should not be all that difficult, especially by applying the "kick and claw" method. But damn, I have to believe that cold water hitting your body is one hell of a shock!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Just did some ice water rescue training last night at the fire dept. The training we did was to give a realization of what the victim is going through and feeling and how quickly they lose motor skills. For you guys that ice fish a lot you might give it a try and see how well you can do.

Take a large igloo cooler and fill it 1/2 to 2/3 the way with water. Then add ice till it is full to the brim. After letting it set for a good 10 -15 minutes throw in 1-penny 1- dime 1- nickel 1- quarter. Throw in 2 bolts with 2 nuts, make sure the nuts are not threaded on the bolts. Also throw in a foot of rope and make sure it is at the bottom also. Have someone there with a stop watch. Stick both arms in the cooler so that your both palms are flat on the bottom of the cooler. Keep them there for a full minute. When the minute is up tie a knot in the rope put the nuts on the bolts and pick up all four coins. Then you can remove your arms from the water.

I will tell you what, it is not impossible but it sure will open your eyes to how quickly you can lose motor skills when it comes to cold and icy water.

I would be interested to see some results and thoughts of how you guys do on this drill.

Comments on the first video. I have trained and used these types of suits. It is nearly imposable to go under water especially in over your head with one of these suits on. They make you as buoyant as a bobber. If he was wearing everyday clothes he would have went in way over his head every time. This also made it much easier for him to get back out as he didn't have to work on staying above water while trying to get back on the ice. It would have been a different story if had not had that suit on.

Last edited: