Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Faster, Slower, ???

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I agree. I have noticed it speeds up then slows down the last couple days.. Good and bad news. Good news is nothing is technically wrong with the site. Bad news is the reason it's slow is the pipe clamp bow press thread is killing us on traffic. We're literally getting flooded.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Wow, if that thread is all that is causing the issues, then imagine what's gonna happen when this site doubles or triples active members. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Wow, if that thread is all that is causing the issues, then imagine what's gonna happen when this site doubles or triples active members. Is there anything that can be done about this?

That's not technically all. There is also 2 ip addresses that keep hammering the site. One is a Yandex search spider. Which is the number 1 search engine in China. Kind of like the google to china. The other is in the UK. I need to block them at the server level from even seeing the site.

The other option is to Upgrade the hosting package to allow more traffic. Which will be much easier than the last move and might only take about an hour.

Things appear to be running faster for the past hour.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I got ya. I guess I was under the impression it was from multiple visitors, and not search bots causing all the issues. Get on blocking those ip's! lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I got ya. I guess I was under the impression it was from multiple visitors, and not search bots causing all the issues. Get on blocking those ip's! lol

It's both. Human visitors open a page an many DB queries are made for content. But the queries open and close very fast. The page is opened and they read the page. Maybe 30 seconds later they do it again.. A quick opening and closing of connections.

Some of those spiders open connections and read so fast, then open again, and again and again, so they flood the connection limit.

2 ways to remedy the problem. In the end the real solution is to upgrade our hosting package. The bill will go from 9 bucks a month to 20-25. lol..

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I got ya. The bots do what we do, essentially, just a hell of a lot faster. Man Joe, you are good. It's a shame you aren't better looking, you'd make someone a hell of a wife.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I got ya. The bots do what we do, essentially, just a hell of a lot faster. Man Joe, you are good. It's a shame you aren't better looking, you'd make someone a hell of a wife.

We still need to move to a bigger host though.. I guess that's good news and means we're growing. but damn.. I thought when i looked at this host i sized it for growth. Especially since we're getting to the summer lull. Shit. We jumped almost +70,000 page views in one month last month. Not counting bots. Plus this host has pissed me off with the two outages they caused us... The one this morning wasn't their fault we just maxed out our package.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree. I have noticed it speeds up then slows down the last couple days.. Good and bad news. Good news is nothing is technically wrong with the site. Bad news is the reason it's slow is the pipe clamp bow press thread is killing us on traffic. We're literally getting flooded.

My bad guys... lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My bad guys... lol.

Oh i's no problem buddy. Not your fault. Did ya link the picture from here to AT also.. I think someone did because the AT views are going way up, but the thread counter isn't. I'm talking like 300 views yesterday alone. lol

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
We still need to move to a bigger host though.. I guess that's good news and means we're growing. but damn.. I thought when i looked at this host i sized it for growth. Especially since we're getting to the summer lull. Shit. We jumped almost +70,000 page views in one month last month. Not counting bots. Plus this host has pissed me off with the two outages they caused us... The one this morning wasn't their fault we just maxed out our package.

That is a pretty big jump this time of year... wonder what it will be like this Oct-Nov! :smiley_crazy:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Oh i's no problem buddy. Not your fault. Did ya link the picture from here to AT also.. I think someone did because the AT views are going way up, but the thread counter isn't. I'm talking like 300 views yesterday alone. lol

Actually I did. Instead of reposting the whole thing, I just figured it was easier to post the link to TOO. Plus I thought it could help generate some new users from Ohio. FWIW, the website has been slow for me ever since the change over... both at home and at work. I haven't noticed any difference in speed over the past few weeks... no slower, no faster.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Actually I did. Instead of reposting the whole thing, I just figured it was easier to post the link to TOO. Plus I thought it could help generate some new users from Ohio. FWIW, the website has been slow for me ever since the change over... both at home and at work. I haven't noticed any difference in speed over the past few weeks... no slower, no faster.

It's no problem. Really. And it worked. a bunch of people signed up. :) By changeover do you mean when we moved off the BEC server?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yea, I think so. I knew there was some sort of server change but I didn't really remember the specifics.

+1 :)

I've done a bunch of things this evening to try and free up some resources. Do you think it;s faster this evening than usual?