Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Favorite foot hold sets

oakswamper

around Toledo
I've never met a trapper that wouldn't help someone learn or get started trapping. I've been trapping since 1975 and was lucky enough to have some really good trappers take me on their lines and learn from them and I still learn new things every year.

The biggest mistake I see made trapping yotes is not bedding traps solid and not having pan tension set right. Getting those 2 things right will help a lot along with quality lures, baits and urine

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've never met a trapper that wouldn't help someone learn or get started trapping. I've been trapping since 1975 and was lucky enough to have some really good trappers take me on their lines and learn from them and I still learn new things every year.

The biggest mistake I see made trapping yotes is not bedding traps solid and not having pan tension set right. Getting those 2 things right will help a lot along with quality lures, baits and urine
What do you use for pan covers, Carl? I started out using screen covers but didn't like them. Lately I've been using peat moss under the pan and inside the jaws.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I forgot about the upside down dirt hole set until I got to reading canines 2000 by Hal Sullivan. I'm going to make one of those this week.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Upside down dirt hole. Clint Locklear's federales bait, trench maker, yote gland, a shot of yote piss on the side, and turds I found. Grass was chopped up with scissors to reduce the chance of trap clogging up. I bedded one of my new no bs lures K9 Jr's, I like them!

Blan37

SW Ohio
Upside down dirt hole. Clint Locklear's federales bait, trench maker, yote gland, a shot of yote piss on the side, and turds I found. Grass was chopped up with scissors to reduce the chance of trap clogging up. I bedded one of my new no bs lures K9 Jr's, I like them!

Getting all fancy, huh? lol

I never heard of an upside down dirt hole. How do you get him to step where you want him to?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Getting all fancy, huh? lol

I never heard of an upside down dirt hole. How do you get him to step where you want him to?
Used that turd as a guide, probably should of put a small stick on the left side but I'm just hoping that I positioned the trap in the right spot. These new ones have a big pan. That upside down dirt hole is a Hal Sullivan set, it's in his book Canines 2000. I put one in last year on a different farm, had a yote investigate it, but unfortunately he uncovered my pan and shit on it😂. I put gland lure on a stick coming out of the left side of the sod, plus with that hole being straight on he's pretty much going to be straight with the clump of sod.

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
A guide turd. Love it [emoji1]

What made you decide to go with this set? Better for wet conditions?
I just wanted to change things up, and yes this set works good in wet conditions since the grass and sod on top of the hole will keep anything out. The eye appeal is excellent also as I have it in an alfalfa field 35 yards off a tree line, so its noticable from quite a distance.