Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

favorite place to put trail cams

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I like to put mine outside. I find that gives me the best chance of getting pics of deer.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Typically facing straight out about 5 feet off the ground. I have found they don't work so well when laying on fallen logs, or tied to the bottom of licking branches. :smiley_boogie:

Seriously though. Avoid facing the rising or setting sun. Other than that, I don't know. I just hung my first 3 ever the weekend before last.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Put corn out near the intersection of some trails. Avoid the sun both rising and setting. And cover as much ground as possible with your picture window. That's been my recipe for success.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Put it where deer walk by:smiley_brushing:

I think over corn/apples is you best place to start, it will give you a good idea of what is in the area.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Face it north. That's when I get the best pics.
Corn, apples, or pumpkins gives you the best chance for good pics. If you just put it out on a trail and they walk right past you might only get their ass or nothing. You gotta get them to stop.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
would a stop sign help , i knowwhere i can get one , can deer read

He'll.. I put one out a couple weeks ago in a really hot spot where the big boys roam.. It was only out there two days and filled a 9 gig SD Card... Problem was, i didn't get a single damn picture of a deer!! WTF.. These cams are BS..

Diablo54

Outside
You might get some good running away pics. Deer always look bigger running away. Mayb ur on to something uk:smiley_blink:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you set it up on a known trail, point it down the trail. Don't make it perpendicular to the trail or you will be lucky to catch a tail or hind leg. Most of the time nothing at all. Point it the direction the deer should be coming or going.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Don't have any cams out right now, but i like puting them on trails used daily, scrapes or food plots etc..these guys moslty covered it. Goodluck with the cam uglykat!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
For me it just depends on the time of year on where I hang my cams.
During the summer I hang them on travel routes just to see what is coming and going. late summer/early fall I find routes coming out of the woods and into the fields to get pics. Then when scrapes start up I hang one on the most active scrape on a field edge I can find and see who is checking them. Couple weeks after the crops are harvested I start looking for scrapes inside the woods and hang a cam. I figure the late season say mid December I will start putting out some corn and hang a cam to see who made it through gun season and get my new inventory and hit list started for muzzy season :D.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
YES!! Someone gotthe buck hahahahaha

Our survey guys do that to those signs, it's hillarious. Everytime they see one they stop and get the sharpie out..LOL

[/QUOTE]

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
This is one of my all time favorite pics and it's a classic set-up for me. This cam was set-up watching a scrape that is on the far left side of the cam. Although the buck never hit the scrape, I got great pics of him because I had the camera centered on the interection of two tractor paths, with the scrape acting as a "secondary focal point". When I hang a camera, I try to get the most bang for my buck when it comes to covering real estate.