Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Feathers or Plastic Fletching

Feather or Plastic Fletching

• Total voters

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Just wanted to get some opinions of what everybody likes and why.

I personally like feathers. Just seems to me they hold up better then plastic vanes plus they are more forgiving for me since I shoot fingers.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Tried feathers back in the day when I was first getting into archery. Didn't like how easily the feathers got all buggared up. Maybe it was me but they just got screwed up quickly for me. That is why I shoot plastic.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Have any of you plastic guys notice any flight difference between hot days in the summer when you set your sight pins and cooler days of fall and winter ?

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Feathers for my real bows and if I shot a compound or crossbow I'd use plastic. I spray that water proof stuff made for whisker biscuits to keep em dry in the rain. It works GREAT!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I hunt w/ both.

I use plastic on the compound but Feathers w/the re-curve. I also hit the feathers w/ waterproofing to help keep the shape and not lay down on rainy days.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Have any of you plastic guys notice any flight difference between hot days in the summer when you set your sight pins and cooler days of fall and winter ?

I have never noticed any difference, but then again I never really thought that there could be a difference because of the temps.

Darn you RC now you got me thinking again.

Ray

Done both. Kinda depends on my mood! Recently I put some 2" Rayzr feathers on and seem to like them as much as anything I have shot. That should give you plenty to go off of. :) LOL!

It's a preference thing, much like carbon vs aluminum, expandable vs. fixed blades or release vs fingers.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Feathers for my real bows and if I shot a compound or crossbow I'd use plastic. I spray that water proof stuff made for whisker biscuits to keep em dry in the rain. It works GREAT!

That's great to know TF. It is time to redo mine. I noticed last winter the snow would pack them down and I actually forgot about that till I read your post lol. It is now on a post-it and my "things to do" for tomorrow/later today lol.