Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finally one close to home

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Neighbor just sent this. It's from yesterday at their son's property just east of Newark ( across from Kiwana's ball park on Bolen Rd Rick )

97.jpeg

Kinda odd in a way, the wife was trying to tell me last week that something similar crossed the road in front of her pretty much in the same area. She said it was too big for a cat, but reminded her of one, so who knows .

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
So, anyone think that ONDR will ever open a season up for these things? Seems like they are making one hell of a come back. I believe this is my second, maybe third year seeing them around my place. If so, I'd be all over it and get me one so I can add it to my collection of mounts.

Reactions: Stressless and Mike

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
So, anyone think that ONDR will ever open a season up for these things? Seems like they are making one hell of a come back. I believe this is my second, maybe third year seeing them around my place. If so, I'd be all over it and get me one so I can add it to my collection of mounts.
I believe the ODNR has tried but are meeting with resistance. Not sure how hard they have tried though.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I believe the ODNR has tried but are meeting with resistance. Not sure how hard they have tried though.
Yeah, I remember reading out it a couple years back about opening up a short trap season. I think PETA and the HUMANE SOCIETY jumped down their throats' if I remember correctly.

"Corey Roscoe, Ohio state director for the Humane Society of the United States, said she believes public outcry influenced the council’s decision to postpone.

“We’re thrilled; they did the right thing,” Roscoe said. “Our hope is that they’ll listen to the majority of Ohioans who have opposed it.”

Last edited:

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I believe they were going to have districts of 4-5 counties. We had the property in Athens county at the time and that district was going to be 20 cats total and then shut it down. You could have trapped 10 on my place alone.
Washington county was going to be in a 10 cat district. It would have made no impact on the population at all.