Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First Coyote I have ever called in.

Bigpess51

Findlay
Outstanding! So nighttime hunting - what kind of gear were you using ? Always wondered how that works...

First time i have tried it at night so i'm no expert. I have a fox pro spitfire, used the lightning jack setting on volume 4 then backed it down to 3 then 2 and about a minute later the yote showed up. She came down wind of the call about 30 yards. Luckily it was just upwind of us when she came through our open clear cut lanes. With the snow on the ground we didn't use any spotlights, although I carry one when ready. It was the first set of the night and the only successful one. Although we just did a few sets and decided to have a few cold ones. Scent control is the biggest issue with Yotes, They will always attempt to get down wind of what they are attempting to stalk so getting set up where they really can't get downwind of you is important, they are way harder to kill than a deer in my opionion, just think of how many things you can teach a domestic dog, i'm pretty sure you can't do the same with a deer, they have a different brain function than a canine. Whenever i'm bowhunting and get them into range and squek at them they always run directly downwind of where im calling and they very rarely get out of the thick cover they are in when they are getting called by a foreign noise that is not a normal sound in the woods.

I have an r15 with a nikon prostaff 3X9X50 so it lets in a ton of light. Did the trick last night, dropped in her tracks although she could have been shot with a shotgun when i dropped her. Prly less than 50 yds.

I'm hooked now, it was my first success calling them in. I've tried it 4 or 5 times during the day and had no luck at all. I will probably been in the market for some type of night time vision so i can see them coming along way off and then get a spotlight on them when they get into range. I need to do some research so i can get the equipment i need to be successful at it.

beaston

Nice Job.

I been lookin for a few years at night vision setup. They say don't waste your money on anything less than Gen III. The big shots are using a Flir 32(thermal)for spotting and a D760(night visionn) scope on the rifle. about $8,000.00 for both

OUUCHHH!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice Job.

I been lookin for a few years at night vision setup. They say don't waste your money on anything less than Gen III. The big shots are using a Flir 32(thermal)for spotting and a D760(night visionn) scope on the rifle. about $8,000.00 for both

OUUCHHH!

WHich is exactly the reason I will have to stick to hunting on the snow with good moonlight.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just a thought guys. I do the majority of my coyote hunting at night. I use NO night vision. I do have a high end scope though. I can see things through this scope which I CANNOT see with my naked eye at night. Watch them come in, get them in the scope, flip the switch on your light, squeeze the trigger. My scope is a Weaver. Bought it on closeout for around $300-350 but was originally marketed at $900+. When Weaver was bought out it was one of the models getting closed out. Not saying you need a scope this expensive, but if you have one with a high percentage of light transmission you can see an awful lot.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Just a thought guys. I do the majority of my coyote hunting at night. I use NO night vision. I do have a high end scope though. I can see things through this scope which I CANNOT see with my naked eye at night. Watch them come in, get them in the scope, flip the switch on your light, squeeze the trigger. My scope is a Weaver. Bought it on closeout for around $300-350 but was originally marketed at $900+. When Weaver was bought out it was one of the models getting closed out. Not saying you need a scope this expensive, but if you have one with a high percentage of light transmission you can see an awful lot.

JohnROhio looked through my Vortex PST and saw the difference. Any snow on the ground a light isn't needed for the most part.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
JohnROhio looked through my Vortex PST and saw the difference. Any snow on the ground a light isn't needed for the most part.

I should probably add, I do my night hunting only when we have snow on the ground. Great point Charles.

rossbows

Congrats on the coyote its a rush at night. I have only had luck calling them in at night. This is my gun i have set up at night. With the lights i can identify over 200 yards and see eyes way past that. gun.jpg