Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First kill of the season!

Kujo

Maumee, OH
So, I hung another stand on where I am hunting, and my cousin sat there for the am hunt. I wasn't sure if it was going to be a good spot on not. Well, at about 9:20am, I here the cross bow fire. I thought that he just dropped his first deer ever. Nope, complete miss on a little buck, 6 pt. I told him not to get down, I did it earlier this year.
We went back out for the evening sit, and I took the stand he was in. I wasn't in the stand for 15 minutes when I heard a deer coming in. Looked like a nice doe, but I didn't think i was going to get a shot, but I saw a small window to take the shot. ( 1ft x 2 ft). I drew back, and let the arrow fly. Hit a branch right in front of her, and the arrow still conected, but it didn't pass through. I saw the arrow sticking out as she ran off. At this point I was worried, 1 about the placement, and 2 about the arrow not penatrating deep enough. I sat in my stand from 4:30 when I shot, till 6:15. That was the hardest thing to do, I just wanted to see if she was down. Followed the blood trail for about 80 yards, and there it was with the arrow still in it. broadhead made in through both sides, but arrow didn't. What I thought was a decent doe, ended up being a large button buck, but I am happy I got the first one of the season outta the way. :smile:

rrr

Atta boy!

You gotta change your sig line now! Sounds like some good lessons learned, a good success, and some time afield for your cousin!

Kujo

Maumee, OH
Ok, here is the pic. By the way, this was also my first kill with a compound bow. I have got them with a x bow, but never a compound.

post.jpg

So, I got the deer to the check station Saturday night, went in got the paperwork started, guy came out to put the metal tag on, and that's right, my temporary tag was gone. I had it double zip tied, and tucked inside the ear TOO. Went back to the property, and actually found the tag, and took it to the check station. I can't believe I found that thing!

Thank you for all the congrats, and good luck this week guys!