Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First Kill with my Ravin R10

I killed my first deer with my Ravin R10, this morning. A nice sized doe, that I'll give to the neighbor. He has 3 grandkids that love the jerky, burger and steaks. đź‘Ť

I've bow hunted for decades, but never with a crossbow. It is certainly different, but I have my "reservations" about using it. :unsure:
It's heavier than my compound, awkward to carry and loud when fired. :rolleyes:
However, those issues are offset by the amazing accuracy and silly amount of lethal range. :)
Just the same, I'll be going back to my Obsession Fusion 7. :cool: It's what I'm used to and it just feels more like bow hunting.

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• Doe 2.jpg
    Doe 2.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Doe 3.jpg
    Doe 3.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Doe 5.jpg
    Doe 5.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 158

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I killed my first deer with my Ravin R10, this morning. A nice sized doe, that I'll give to the neighbor. He has 3 grandkids that love the jerky, burger and steaks. đź‘Ť

I've bow hunted for decades, but never with a crossbow. It is certainly different, but I have my "reservations" about using it. :unsure:
It's heavier than my compound, awkward to carry and loud when fired. :rolleyes:
However, those issues are offset by the amazing accuracy and silly amount of lethal range. :)
Just the same, I'll be going back to my Obsession Fusion 7. :cool: It's what I'm used to and it just feels more like bow hunting.

Bowhunter57
Congrats on the kill and good on you for sharing the harvest.

Question, is the Ravin now for sale?

Dustinb80,
Nope, it's not for sale. :)
I purchased it this past January, knowing that I'm retiring in '22 and not getting any younger. :ROFLMAO: I got some blood on it and that's about all I was interested in doing. The shot was only 15ish yards, so not much of a "test" for what it'll do at distance. Just the same, I'm a bow hunter and prefer my compound and recurve kills...inside 20 yards. (y)

Bowhunter57

So you killed a deer with your crossbow then take backhanded shots at the action of using a xbow? You seem conflicted. They are a great tool for killing animals and should be respected as that. Nice shooting Daniel.
Redhunter1012,
I agree, it is a great tool for killing animals. (y) I think a hunter should use whatever weapon/tool they choose for hunting and enjoy it. What I was sharing are my own thoughts/feelings on MY usage of MY crossbow....and it has NO bearing on what others use. :)
There's far too much division within our hunting "ranks" and I'd rather promote, than provoke. :cool:

Bowhunter57

Floki

Congrats. I’ve done it both ways. It’s a little harder for me (compound) as I only hunt from the ground well 99.9 percent of the time.

Im with the use what ya want crowd. All have pros and cons.

I was looking in to getting a Raven the only thing stopping me is the special arrows it’s a really nice set up by all means. Till ya forget arrows. If and when they do sell them at regular chain stores I would definitely purchase one..👍

Reactions: Bowhunter57
I was looking in to getting a Raven the only thing stopping me is the special arrows it’s a really nice set up by all means. Till ya forget arrows. If and when they do sell them at regular chain stores I would definitely purchase one..👍
Floki,
I ordered a set of 3 arrows (bolts), off of Amazon, for less than what any store had them priced. (y)

Bowhunter57

Reactions: Floki

Floki

Cool yeah that’s my only hold up. Just wished they sold arrows in regular chain stores .

I do some dumb shit sometimes and forgetting arrows is definitely not out of my wheel house of stupid..

I have an R9. I can honestly say it is probably one of the best investments for hunting I have ever made (i.e. bought it used for $650 helps lol).

I have shot quite a few deer with a compound as well as 3 with a recurve. I have also missed quite a few nice bucks as well as unfortunately wounded my fair share of deer in the past.

For me personally I have reached the point that I get no more meaningful validation out of a buck that I shot with one weapon versus the other. I am content with just enjoying the harvest. I can say it has been a lot more humbling in a sense to lose the train of thought that there is some superiority to harvesting a deer with a bow.

I was not shooting my bow near enough as one should be if ethically trying to hunt deer with a compound which was my huge driver to switch. I just did not have enough time to shoot to feel confident I was doing the deer justice when taking a shot.

Crossbows like Ravin (i.e. unlike some other crossbows I have shot) are a true game changer. The accuracy and extended range that they offer along with other upper end crossbows in my opinion has done just as much benefit for the sport as it has harm. Obviously just my opinion that being said I would advise anyone that has ever been interested give them a try you will be impressed.