Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First OH buck

runhunter

That's great man... And the exact reason I Made 5 trips to Ohio since May. Only 2 were to hunt, 2 were to scout, and one was a day trip. We drove out, grabbed the 8 trail cameras we hung 3 weeks prior, and drove right back to NJ. What we consider big, in NJ, is what most guys let walk in Ohio. A 120", in NJ, on state woods, shooter all day every day. Depending in the season/situation, I'm letting that walk in OH. I sit over 100 days a year, I finally had enough. I'm still hunting NJ, but my time is better spent elsewhere. I don't care how much work it is

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
If you are letting a 120 walk in NJ, anywhere, especially on public land, you have access to way better resources than us! We only killed one 120 in NJ, and I only personally laid eyes on 1 while hunting. The deer I shot in Ohio this year I almost let walk, but would have made me fall out of the tree in NJ! My buddy has land out here, what got us coming, and he makes about 5 trips a year between things. We're looking into trying other states next year. Most likely Kansas....

runhunter

No no... A 120 in NJ is almost a booner IMO. Sounds crazy but I know you agree. You've been here, you understand. Guys in OH may let a 120 walk, in NJ I would never. Not on state land. Yea we may be headed to WI next year for the rut. TOO much land out there you can hunt for free. Just gas money and time is it it costs. We're DIY kinda guys

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
So are we, why we're looking at doing KS. I wanted to do WI also, but my buddy is pretty intent on either Iowa or KS. WI is SOOOO much cheaper though, and no draw. I think I'm going to talk him into WI next year while we draw for KS;)

And yes, shooting a 120 ANYWHERE in NJ is the equivalent of shooting a 160+ out here, no doubt in my mind about that. PM me if you want, I'd be interested in possibly getting in on that WI trip, depending on where I'm at with everything job wise next year, here or NJ....