Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First turkey calls in a while

Creamer

Athens
A few days ago, I was taking stock of what materials I had left and decided to make a couple of fresh turkey calls. I really like ceramic surfaces, and I had one of those left. I also found a small 3" slate surface, most of my surfaces I have used in the past are larger 3.5" surfaces. The ceramic call came first, and I had a piece of bloodwood that I thought would work well with it. Bloodwood turns pretty easily and has a nice deep red color to it. I think it will brown over time, but for now it's pretty red. The simple striker I turned for it was a single piece purple heart striker, nothing fancy.

@Jackalope do you get twitchy knowing that I scientifically eyeball the holes in the bottom of the pot? :LOL:

The smaller slate surface allowed me to use a piece of rosewood I had been hanging onto for a while that I knew wasn't quite big enough for a 3.5" surface. I knew this pot was going to be gorgeous. If you've ever wondered what the inside of the pot looks like, here you go. The larger surface obviously sits onto the ledge at the edges of the pot, and the smaller sound board is glued to the "post" I cut out in the center.

Finished product.

Hopefully I get to turkey hunt a little more this spring.