Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fishin Miss.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
After living here for 8 months and not having wet a line I decided to put the task list on hold and head out to do a little night fishing in the gulf. The old standard two hook bottom rig with squid and shrimp.

As one would expect fishing such a rig the catfish were biting. So far a couple of Gafftopsail or commonly called sailcats. Ain't worth a shit and pack poisonous spines but they put up a fun fight.

Other than that I've got a sky full of stars, a couple shooting stars, and the slow drone of a tug holding a dredge barge in place about a mile offshore at the mouth of the bay. Life's good.

20210515_233844.jpg

20210515_232123.jpg

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This scar in the crook of my hand is courtesy of a sailcat about 23 years ago. Nasty little suckers. That dull sore pain like a black locust thorn but worse and stings like fire. Unlike stingrays which have bacteria coating their barbs the sailcat actually has venom sacs on their barb that rupture when it penetrates.

20210516_012315.jpg

20210515_232152.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Nasty buggers will slime several inches up the hook... They do put up a good fight though.

Thought you were going to spear some flounders for us Joe.

Glad your liven large down there!

Reactions: Jackalope

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Trout are biting on the barrier islands. Sadly Mississippi doesn’t offer much for good fishing inshore fish. Gaff tops are edible, just cut the bloodline out. Try fishing in the bays for reds and some specks. Not many around since the freshwater from the rivers has kept the brown shrimp off shore. I’ve heard the bait shops selling live shrimp for .70 cents a piece.

or spend a day on the rivers and catch a mess of freshwater cats. Lake Pontchartrain is producing specks on the bridges or go to hopedale and fish the rock jetties 3 minutes from the launch. No big boat needed.

Reactions: Sgt Fury and giles