Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fletch's 2023 Black Bear Season....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Hope you can get the guys on some bears Rich! Pretty cool thing you’re doing! Dan and Jon are great people too…👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Oh... They'll be in great spots... The bears just gotta co-operate.... A lot are nocturnal.... Gonna be putting them right in my honey holes.... Love to see them get one... Also went and checked out their room to make sure it's not a dump... Wasn't bad.... Not the Tahj Mahal but clean... Gonna be fun...

Wiley E Coyote

Oh... They'll be in great spots... The bears just gotta co-operate.... A lot are nocturnal.... Gonna be putting them right in my honey holes.... Love to see them get one... Also went and checked out their room to make sure it's not a dump... Wasn't bad.... Not the Tahj Mahal but clean... Gonna be fun...
Can you bait there?

Fletch

Supporting Member
Heard Jon's a BIG BOY.... So I'm going to go pick up a pack of these chocolate eclairs for a snack on Sat.... They are freaking big, see fork for comparison... They are soooooo good....
PXL_20230311_004329953.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
Can you bait there?
Yes.... Or at least in the past you could.... Fish and game is framing up regulations now.... Up until last year baiting rules were.... You could not hunt out of a tree stand or blind within 100 yds. of bait... BUT YOU COULD SIT IN THE BAIT... IN OTHER WORDS YOU COULD HUNT AS CLOSE AS YOU WANT AS LONG AS ITS NATURAL.... EXAMPLE: BLOW DOWN, ROCK FORMATION.... Last year you had to be 100 yds away period..

Reactions: Left field

Fletch

Supporting Member
One of the areas I hunt... Wanted to take the guys up there to show them... But the road over the mountain is not maintained over the winter and is closed till April 15th... Looking for another photo I came across this one... As you can see we have some small woodlots... A lot of bears in there, so if bait allowed I'll also bait this area to mix things up... Easy walk down in... But comming out... Jon says no problem, so we'll see... This area has been closed now for 5 years to bear hunting... So they should be plentifull.
PXL_20230314_171016480.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
I gotta learn everything I can now about killing bears. Looking forward to Jersey.

At first I typed I need to learn about Bear life, but nowadays that could be gayed up. Nothing about this trip can be gayed up.
This is Boone and Crockett shit.

@Fletch do you think they'll set the dates as Oct 9 to 14th?
Dan... Those dates are a good estimate... Soon as I get info from those I know I'll let you know...

Nothing to learn about killing bears... Just shoot straight and aim center mass a little higher than a deer... And don't aim at shoulder.. Don't worry you'll have bears within a couple hundred yds of where you'll be sitting very thick areas... Instead of spraying you down with buck lure, we'll put some ANISE on your pant leg... They love the smell of licorice...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Looks like the guys might have to bump their trip to the following weekend as over a 1/2 inch of rain predicted for this Sat...

Reactions: finelyshedded

Fletch

Supporting Member
Nothing new... Other than everyone I talk to has had bears in their yard the last 2 weeks... Cousin had one on his deck last night... Guys had to re-schedule their scouting trip due to rain and both were sick... By the time they come I'll have some cameras out and pics to boost their anticipation...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Well they came back first thing this morning... That one has a nice size head and should be a very nice bear come fall... Will they stay in that area??? Who knows... There are some nice sized swamps near with those 8 ft high reeds, so chances are good... But come fall Jon and Dan will have several spots with plenty of bear activity....

eea62949-95f8-4524-94be-8cc585238a41.png

Fletch

Supporting Member
Well today was one of those OH SHIT MOMENTS.... Bear just had to notice camera and mess with it... Camera is about 6 1/2 ft. off ground... Luckily he didn't break the antenna off as it checked in later and signal was good... Did get a pic of ground so he moved it... I'll get up there later in the week to fix it... George... I know it should be in a lock box... However they can still break the antenna off...

559da5fb-a6a7-41de-92db-c9b2951b19f2.png

Fletch

Supporting Member
Puzzling looking at the size of that forearm and the lighter brown color compared to the bears in the pic... Hmmm.... Maybe a Sasquatch??? LOL..... On a lighter note.... My friend sent me a pic yesterday of a bear in a local mall... This is about 1 1/2 hrs. South of me... Guess is...
image.jpg
Marshalls was having a sale....